Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Chain replacement, general cost?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Linux_insidev2, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Hey Dudes and Dudettes,

Looking at a guesstimate at the cost to have my ZZR chain replaced, I tried calling the bike shop but their phone rang out :S

I could probably get away with lubing it well but some of the links don't move very freely, the guy i bought it off told me to check it after 500k's and i've left it for too long, i'm on 1500k's now.

2. You do lube it regularly don't you?
    Did the guy tell you to check it for adjustment every 500k, or because he thought it was nearing the end of it's life? (You should get 20,000 - 30,000k out of a new one. Maybe as low as 15,000 on some bikes).
    You're looking at $300-400 for chain and sprocket set fitted.
  3. Give it a good clean with kerosene (a tin and rag or dish brush), short ride to warm the chain, then lube the hell out of it. Then check visually for tight spots: if the chain is low miles this is more likely to be the thing that will kill it. The chain should work quietly and smoothly after the work, with just a little side-play. It should fit tightly and snug where it goes around the rear sprocket.

Lube early, lube often, it makes a big difference to both chain life (and $$) and the running/power delivery, and your ability to ride smoothly at very low speed.

End of lecture (damn channeling my old spare parts guy persona).
  4. Linux_insidev2 you wouldn't happen to be an atomican?
  5. If your acceleration is really jerky and the chain's adjustment is close to the end of the lines (ie. close to the back side of the bike), or if you need to adjust the chain alot to keep it not-jerky, then its time for new chain.

I got new chain and sprockets for $280 fitted at close motorcycles in redfern.
  6. That I am!
  7. I recently replaced my chain and sprockets myself. Total cost was $150 for chain and sprockets from peter stevens (the chain was reduced from $120 to $80)
  8. depends if you want a cheap chain or an expensive chain.
    The more expensive you go, the longer they last and less power they absorb.
    Chains cost around $120-250 (520) or more if you need 525 or 530.
    It's probably a good idea to get sprockets as well but check if they are hooked first. If they're hooked, replace them. If not, I probably wouldn't bother.