Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Chain Question

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by stigger, Feb 19, 2009.

1. I need a new chain for the POS what's the difference between a 525 and 525H???

2. Educated guess:

The H has thicker (ie Heavy duty) sideplates.

That was always the difference between the standard and the heavy duty chain when I was a penniless oik anyway.
  3. sorry to hijack the thread....
    but i tried to adjust the chain on my VTR250 tonight and i noticed that as o rotated the back wheel while it was on the stand i noticed that the chain becomes tighter when the main link is on the back cog.
    Im sure that it is not supost to do this...
    last week I cleaned the chain with kero and it came up shmick! but i think that i may of opened a can of worms, or just noticed an underlying problem..

Im considering changing the chain, I am assuming it is the stock chain(28+kms), do you think that i should get it changed...?
  4. If your chain is tighter is some sections that means its stretched and therefor cactus. You need a new chain and should check your sprockets as well.
  5. I checked the sprockets last week.. they look fine..
    but ill change em anyway if i can get em as well
    just called PS and they have the chain for $110
    i dont think that the sprockets will be that dear so ill change em anyway...

Cheers Joel.
  6. "Generally" the front sprocket is quite cheap and wears quicker so I change it with the chain. The rear can cost more. Can be tricky identifying a worn sprocket. The teeth are narrower than on a new sprocket and the shape of the teeth can be "wrong". If not sure, compare to a new sprocket or ask someone. A worn sprocket can wreck a new chain alot quicker than a new sprocket.
  7. Cheers got a new chain with o-rings and changed both the sprockets..
    booked it in a 3:50pm this arvo at Geoff Taylors this arvo and they were done within 30min....
    I am now $300.00 poorer,, but safer at the same time ;)

thanks guys!
  8. It's amazing the difference it makes using good chains & sprokets.
    Just replaced mine yesterday.
  9. That made me laugh, dude you need a new BIKE :LOL: