Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Chain lubrication: ScottOiler?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by kine, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Hi, Does any one have a ScottOiler fitted to their bike, if so, what is your opinion. I'm thinkin' of getting one fitted, that would be the (electronic) e system rather than the (vacuum) v system.
    Thanks heaps

2. Where are you, what year and model bike?
  3. Yeah, I've got one. I'll admit it wasn't cheap, even bought out of the UK, but it's nicely made (mostly) and is doing its job.

Detailed information:-

The unit itself is very high quality. However, the little stainless bracket I needed to fit my particular application broke on tightening. The mounting stud snapped off the bracket. Fortunately I have the facility to braze it back together but it would have been annoying if I hadn't. My other gripe is that the rubber bung fitting, where the breather tube goes into the body, cracked fairly early on. It still works though. It looks like UV damage but the unit's mounted behind a sidepanel so it shouldn't be.

I sprang for the double outlet nozzle. In hindsight I wouldn't have bothered as it's expensive, hard to adjust so it works and will remain working and, I suspect, unnecessary. Still, I've got it now and, after two years of intermittent swearing, appears to be holding together. Until I have to take the back wheel out to swap tyres.

Even at a fairly low drip rate, the back of the bike will get a bit oily. Nothing that weekly cleaning won't stay on top of though. I don't bother in the interests of rust and theft prevention :D.

On the plus side, I expect it to last the life of several bikes. After two years and 30,000 kms it's still used less than 500ml of oil and I've tweaked the chain maybe twice (one notch on the snail cams). The chain has had no additional maintenance beyond what the Scottoiler supplies. Considering my previous chain drive bikes have gone through (cheapo non-o-ring) chains in maybe 15,000 kms or less I'm very pleased overall.
  4. I have a Scottoiler (single nozzle) currently fitted on my SV650.
    Works a treat, will defo have a auto-oiler fitted on any future bike I own.

In fact it was with that thot, I went out & got a electronic model, Pro-Oiler (twin nozzle), as I was about to buy another bike. Long story, it didn't work out, so I still have the brand new, unused, untouched in box, costing Euro175 on my top shelf gathering dust!

On the drip-flow Scottoiler, you just need to test out till you are comfortable with the flow level. I once set it at 1/2, got home to find oil on my tyre sidewalls! It just needs minimal flow, I think 1 drip per 40secs. I did a 520 chain conversion (from stock 525 chain) tog with fr & Rr sprockets, same time as I fitted the Scottoiler. 6000km on, my gold chain looks & feels almost new. (tensioned once since).

No additional lubrication whatsoever. And I only need to dab kero on cloth to wipe the wheel once a week. Compared to the 1/2 hr job in the past putting it on Rr stand, lubricating the chain, cleaning ancillaries, taking it out for a ride to even out the newly applied lube, etc. What a relief!
  5. Have used a scottoiler since the start of the year and done over 16000kms and am very happy with it. Just make sure whether you install it yourself or get a mechanic to do it that the dripper is actually placed in the correct position feeding oil on to the sprocket and nowhere else. I have the v system and will definitely be an addition to any chain driven bike I own. It was the first mod I did when I bought my bike.
  6. ResmeN - Northern NSW, Ducati 2006 620 Multistrada, yellow the coolest colour!!
    Thanks guys for replying, it's great to get others opinions, pro's and con's, to keep as reference. When I choose, I'll be getting the mechanic to install it at the same time as my service, then I'll have to tweek it till it's right, it sounds like it'll be a bit of messing around... thats ok, i'm just so over manually applying and remembering to apply the lube. I'm still wondering the e versus the v system, let alone the pro oiler, i'll soon make my mind up.
  7. Getting an E system fitted next week, will let you know how it goes.
  8. im thinking of getting one put on my GS500, still deciding though.

Warning - potentially silly question follows:
    are the units removable? if I spring for the electronic one can I take it off and put it on another bike, I ask because I am planning on upgrading next year once im off restrictions. If I can put it onto another bike I think it will tip me in favour of getting one.
  9. Yes, they are removable. You simply follow the reverse of the fitting instructions. The regular system is run by hooking into a vacuum feed on your bike (carb, intake boot etc).

You may also want to consider the Tutoro system that has been given top reviews in the UK and a few people here are also running... including myself as soon as it show up in the mail. Advantages are its cost ($40 shipped), simplicity (gravity feed using almost any oil), it comes with a two-sided head (both sets of O-rings get oil), and you could easily put it on another bike as it doesn't hook into any vacuum or electonic connections etc.

Disadvantages are reserviour size (8ml, which is apparently good for 5 hours riding) and the fact that you need to turn it on before riding and off afterwards (small dial). As another member put it, though, you also need to remember to take your keys out when you've arrived at your destination.

Check out tutorochainoiler.com for more info. I'm not putting the Scottoilers down - they really are good gear - but I just reckon you can get gear thats just as effective and well made for a lot less outlay. And lets face it, Scottoilers aren't exactly cheap.

Cheers - boingk
  10. Interesting - so they are gravity-fed, and dispense a fix amount regardless of engine speed? If the bike goes over bumpy surface, that will get a little more oil dripping down, which ... works to an extent, I guess!

Guess you just need to fine-tune the Tutoro till you get the correct drip-rate.

Unfortunately 8ml is really small. Scottoiler reservoir is 50ml, lasts me over a mth. I use el cheapo brand 20W-50 engine oil.

"Manual" Scottoilers are fed based on vacuum from the motor, so drip-rate can vary according to engine speed.
  11. I don't think so. From playing with mine, the valve is either open if there's any vacuum or shut if there's none. As there seems to be enough vacuum to open the valve under pretty much all circumstances, I don't think there's much of a regulation function there.
  12. I would also not see any particular point in varying the oil output on engine speed alone, as it doesn't have a great amount to do with actual chain wear or lubrication needs - hard acceleration and prolonged high speeds do, however, and thats where the E-system steps in.

As for the 8ml reserviour not being much... you're right. But then again, how much riding do you do in an average week? Five hours perhaps? Then you'd probably only top off the system once a week, and thats assuming you use their recommended 1 to 2 drips per minute oiling rate, which PatB (I think) has told me in the past is more than enough to adequately oil the chain.

Not trying to get anyone to go out and buy a Tutoro system, I just think its a good example of a simple, well thought out product that does what its designed to do.

- boingk
  13. Manual (vacuum) scottoilers do not vary their flow according to engine speed. They merely use the vacuum of the engine to open the flow valve. That way, when the bike is not running, oil does not flow, and vice versa.
    They are purely gravity fed, and the flow rate can be varied easily using the built in adjustment valve thingy. The more head room (higher from the injector) you can set it up, the better :).
    I love mine, even if it makes a mess because i havent bothered getting the flow rate just right, and settle for 'too much'.

Edit: stats so far...
    Cost me $220 from http://www.ausit.com.au/scott.html - pretty sure thats where i told Resmen to buy his from too...
    Used about 800ml of oil in almost a year - like i said, 'too much' (never too much, the more lube the better :p but then it makes a mess like mine).
    Chain and sprocket have now about 12000km on them, been adjusted once, and look like new (after a clean).
  14. Chain, chainguard, rim, swingarm, front sprocket housing, rear shock, rego plate, sidestand and anything else in the line of fire really :D.
  15. Once a week !!! I top up my 125 ml Pro-Oiler system once every three to six months. I'm still using too much oil.

I haven't looked at the Scott E system, but when I got the Pro-Oiler it was the only unit that actually varied the supply of oil based on distance travelled, which I think is a pretty good basis to use. It is driven by the speedo/odometer pulses, or using magnets installed to generate the pulses. For every X pulses the tiny pump is activated once. The junction box could be a bit smaller, and a better range of oil reservoirs would be good, but the Pro-Oiler works well. http://www.pro-oiler.nl/store/index.php/
  16. Whoopsies - I stand corrected! Thanks!

1hr 10 - 20mins daily round-trip commute, so about 6hrs a week, provided I don't go for a w/end ride.

1 drip per 45secs for me on my manual Scottoiler.

There was this occassion I had the reservoir run dry, and it took over 5mins "priming" ie. idling in order to get the oil back thru the system. I know, I could've gone for a ride to prime it, but greasy hands and all ...

I'll save my Pro-Oiler for my next bike.
  17. The priming took that long? Thick oil? Reservoir not very high above the injector?
    Mine takes about 45sec to prime... (though im running shell fully synthetic 10w-40 oil in it at the moment :p since i got it for my bike and my bike hates it).
  18. Here's bringing up an old post!

Would it be worth installing an auto system (Scotoiler) if I only did approx 6,500km annually? Works out to be about 125km/week)
  19. Scottoiler.

Thats a yes :). Makes things so much easier...
    Just takes a little to get the right level and still need to clean every 1000km or so.

If my next bike is chain drive (likely) ill be getting another for it - though probably have to get the E system rather then the V system.