Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Chain lubing - but no centre stand!

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by ~DadAgain~, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Ok - so now I've got myself a nice bike I want to look after it properly.

That means amongst other things I need to get more disciplined about lubing the chain (which I was VERY bad at doing on the ZZR).

My problem here is that I have no centre stand... So how do you all manage it? Does everyone have swing-arm spools and a race stand? Is a $100 stand from ebay going to do the job? Is there a better way I havent thought of?

Any thoughts?

2. piece of wood under the swingarm, does the trick nicely :]
  3. I use a tommy jack: http://www.oneup.com.au/tommyjack.php

Slightly more sophisticated than a piece of wood under the swingarm - but only slightly! Still, it is a hell of a lot easier than the 'spray and roll' method.
  4. i use two car stands, one under each side of the swing arm. I use a hydralic jack to lift the bike up and then lower the swing arms onto the stand. works well and is stable. IIRC the stands cost $25-30 for the pair. Just be careful that you support the bike when jacking it up.
  5. For those that are too tight...

Did a major chain clean in Tassy with my patent pending rock and spanner paddock stand... tie off the front brake though.

or this more recent variation:

A wood block or pvc pipe cut at a couple of mm longer than the high side swing arm, will put the rear wheel a couple mm off the deck when you rock the bike and the prop falls in under the swing arm. Lock off the front brake though.

Did I mention to lock off the front brake?

Anyway, get a paddock stand, you'll never regret it... and for interest, check out this thread: https://netrider.net.au/forums/showthread.php?t=90160
  6. forget the jury-rigged options, go with a paddock stand

www.andersonstands.com if you want a good, local product with some backup
  7. I've got the Kaneg stand. A race/paddock stand is absolutely essential in my books. You could order directly from their website if its cheaper.

It can be a little difficult to get the bike on its stand the first time. Essentially you gotta pull the bike upright by holding on to the rear with one hand. With the other hand, you slide the stand under the spools and make sure its caught the spools correctly. Then you push down on the stand with one hand. With enough pressure on the stand, the bike will stay upright and you push it all the way down.
  8. +1, just get a stand. Bobbins will cost you maybe $15 from eBay, stand around $100 and your lubing and tensioning life will be made easy.
  9. +1 on Anderson stands. They use better quality materials than some other brands I have looked at.
  10. If your swing arm hasn't got pick-ups or bobbins for a stand, don't bother buying them. Anderson and others make a version of the paddock stand which has an "L"-shaped carrier on each side. Just position them under the swingarm and lift. After nearly five years of doing this I don't even 'steady the back of the bike' any more; just whack the stand under the swing arm and push down in one motion, voila, she's up.
  11. ive got a kaneg stand and its awesome
  12. +1 got one too its solid and easy to use. I resisted for a little while but $100 is well worth it compared the heartache if you dropped it while lubing the chain
  13. Just ordered a Kaneg... at $114 delivered including the spools it cant hurt can it?

Thanks everyone! :)
  14. +1

I have one as well (it's now obsolete) from memory it was around the $65 mark.

Simple and effective.
  15. Kaneg stand arrived today (very impressed with quick postage!)

Its nice and chunky and seems pretty well built. The swingarm spools are in place and look just fine and I've put the bike up on the stand as a test (with a TINY amount of assitance from my 5yr old daughter who was fascinated).

Seems pretty straightforward and theres a good chance I might ACTUALLY do some proper chain maintenance!

Next question - What do you clean your chain with? I've read diesel or Kerosene is good (with a toothbrush) so how do I get hold of a tiny amount of diesel? Can I rock up to a servo and buy 500ml in an old water bottle for 70c?
  16. I use Kerosene which does a good job...and you can get the unscented kind if you don't like the smell