Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Chain lubing after a wash.

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' at netrider.net.au started by murchy, Jul 26, 2011.

1. I want to relube the chain with each wash, but I'm not sure if I should be scrubbing all the old lube off the chain before applying new stuff, or just apply it over the top of what remains after the wash?

Also, is re-lubing necessary if I just give the bike a quick once over rather than a more thorough wash?

2. - Re-lube based on k's (or if you've cleaned the chain of buildup using a chain cleaner)
    - If you've been riding in the rain a lot you may want to clean and lube more regularly
    - If the chain has a lot of build-up you may want to give it a few cleans / lubes. Check it for proper link movement.
    - If there isn't a lot of build-up then you're fine to just add lube. If you decide to lube every 300 k's or so, you may want to clean it and lube it every 3rd time or so.

Plenty of Google answers to how / how much / how often

3. Thanks Phil, I've been googling around a bit but just wanted to ask you experienced netrider folks, I couldn't find much on whether it was necessary to clean the old lube off before applying more, but I think you've answered that. =]

4.  Top
  5.  Top
  6. You should lube the chain when it is hot as well so ride it for a bit before you do it rather than straight after a wash.

7. Wash bike, Dry, Test Run (Give it a workout to heat the chain up nicely), Adjust/Clean/Lube, Final Wipe off.

Weekly ritual. The more often you do it, the easier it is.

8. Lubing the chain after a wash? Funny, I usually wash my chain AFTER I lube it. Oh wait, MOTORCYCLE chains...

9. +1....

10. Don't pressure wash your chain, the O-rings might allow water to enter the internals. With an O-ring chain, keeping the O-rings happy is a must. Dry O-rings wear out quickly, a good, light grease spray is all you need to refresh them. O-ring lube, like Parker offers, is the best, and specific for O-rings. It is not practical for road riding though. Yes, after a downpour, you need to re-lube.