Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Chain Lubes

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by kennyc, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Has/Does, anyone here use chain gel on their bike?
    I've been using chain lube since day one but the guy at the shop recommended I try Silkolene Titanium Chain Gel. I was told it offered better protection than lube and was the stuff that you find on a new chain when you buy it (although I always thought that white stuff on the chain was actually a type of wax).
    Interesting to see that it costs more than lube (hence my reluctance to believe any shop salesman on just the face of their recommendations).

2. Never tried a "chain gel" so have nfi about them, but I can say do not use the shell lube.

Try a search, there is tonnes of info on here about chain lubes.
  3. I've been using Dupont Teflon Lubricant. You can get it from Repco, but they might need to get it in from the warehouse.

There's a big thread on it around here somewhere, basically you spray it on and it takes on a waxy consistency. I've been using it for the last 14,000 k's or so and the chain hasn't needed to be adjusted or anything.

You need to apply it a bit more often than thicker stuff, but it isn't gunky and takes no time at all.
  4. I have searched the Internets for information on chain lubrication and I have not been able to find much. Sure, there are plenty of recommendations for specific products, but there is not much discussion of the actual properties of a preferred oil.

I sort-of came to the opinion that it doesn't really matter a lot, as long as you actually use a lubricant and not a detergent or a water-repellant.

I used 2-stroke oil because it was what I had lying around. (This is of course for a modern chain that has lubricant built in to the links.)