Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Chain lube, large can $2.59 ea

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Johnny O, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Hey Guys,

As I have always read of the exceptional lubrication qualities of vegetable oils in high performance engines, I thought I'd give it a go on my chain.

About a year ago I started using Coles canola oil spray on my chains, it is only $2.59 for a large can, I haven't had any wear on the 520 chain or alloy rear sprocket on my GSXR1000 in this time.

For sure it tends fly off if you use too much, but no more than many other chain lubes, it is much easier to clean off the rear wheel than other chain specific lubes.

I feel it may need to be applied a little more regularly than normal chain lubes, although I have always been a bit of a chain lube nazi and always tend to oil chains every second or third day, or everyday in the wet conditions, so I still stick to my current lube intervals.

At $2.59 per can who cares if it has to be done a little more regularly, it only takes a couple of seconds with the bike on a paddock stand, I give the rim a quick wipe around at the same time.

After 12 months I have just bought my second can and my chain & sprockets are great.....go figure.
  2. Pennytech at its finest. But wait, comes with free KLR650!

3. Interesting. Keep us updated on the life of your chain.
    One benefit of using cheap canola oil I guess is that you can put it on all the time, cheaply.
  4. I prefer peanut oil for my lubrication needs.
    I don't konw what my bike chain likes though
  5. make sure you dont get it on your tyre - i'd imagine that it'd make for an interesting first corner! :)
  6. As any chain lube would.