Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Chain Life

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by sanoptic, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Hi,
    How do you determine when a drive chain is past its use by date?.My Triumph 900 is 12 years old with 50K & still on oem chain & sprockets.
    The chain & sprockets look to be in good condition,the chain an oem DID has a couple of tight spots but its not too bad as it still adjusts to spec.
    All other bikes ive had i was lucky to get 20K from a chain.

Thanks

2. 12 years and 50k? Thats a mighty change you have there!

As far as I know, typical life is about 25k kms depending on clutch/wheelie/launch/lack of lube or cleaning abuse.

3. The chain is U/S when you run out of adjustment for tension. If you are still in spec you will be fine. I would seriously consider a preventative replacement if the sprocket teeth are seriously worn also.
    K

4. Check the manual?.
    I've read in one that you need to change chain when the distance between the first and the 21st pin of the chain is bigger than xx cm..

5. See now you've done it. It is going to fail tomorrow.

6. Sorry Karl.. don't want to be racist. but ...are you a ******?

:rofl:

7. The three letters DID are the reason you've got such good life. After a couple of cheap chains that lasted what seemed like five minutes, I put a DID on the Hornet, at 85,000kms.

I've now done 106,500 kms, and it's just up to its first adjuster mark; at this rate it's going to outlast the bike!

8. Just ride it hard,up a dirt road, Paul. Get rid of that nasty metal.