Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Chain life question...

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by lemontree, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Hi everyone,

When I inspected the chain adjustment indicator, it seems it's been pulled back to furthest. (see photo below).

Took it to a mechanic for an opinion and immediately advised me to order a new set of chain/sprockets.

Should I be worried? If i need to re-adjust my chain, should I remove one link on the chain?

I treat the owners manual religiously and it states that if the teeth are worn it should be replaced. Checked my sprocket teeth and all seems good and not sharp. Chain has done 16,000kms.

Attached Files:

2. If you have checked the sprockets and they are not worn or been replaced with something other than standard, then the chain may have stretched, personally I'd replace it, others may have a different view.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Replace chain and sprockets. Look how sharp those sprocket teeth are.

Stretched chain is a misnomer. It's "stretched" because of linkage wear. Chuck it out. It'll be like riding a new bike.

This will be worth a read too: http://www.dansmc.com/rearchain.htm
  4. That's stretching it a bit mate.......
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. #5 mike8863, Jul 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
    chain service life measure. some workshop manuals will specify and provide a method of measurement of chain wear and service life. The attached is from a zx9r service manual.....refer to your bikes' workshop manual..