Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Chain jumping.. does that mean it's too loose?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Kojihama, Jan 7, 2010.

1. hey all,

So I did my first chain clean today (noob here) and then I turned the engine on and put it in gear just to see check for any other defects and noticed that the chain sort of "hops" or bounces up and down on some sort of guide block just behind the left hand side heel rest.. before it goes into the engine.

Does this mean the chain is too loose or could it be a precursor to something worse? Or is it normal.

It's a 2003 Suzuki GS500.

Thanks in advace.

2. Could be either:
    Stiff joints in the chain - Replace chain and sprockets
    Chain *way* too loose - Tighten chain.
    More than likely tho; Worn out from Sprocket - Replace Chain and Sprokets.
  3. yes it does
  4. I probably should have asked this in the original post... is it something that needs to be addressed urgently or can it wait for the next service? Which isn't for another three months. I don't have the tools or the know how to adjust the chain.

5. Well, my friend, get thee to a service centre of some sort and get it fixed tomorrow before you do even more damage than that which may have been done already.....
  6. Will do. Thanks for the help.
  7. You definitely need to learn to adjust the chain, and know when you have to. Get a mechanic or experienced friend to show you.

Sounds like the chain is at least loose - if it's skipping teeth it's WAAAAAYYYYYY too loose, if the bottom run is bouncing up and down it could be a tight spot or stuck link, and if all this has been going on for a while the chain and sprockets could be screwed.

Get someone who knows what they are looking at to suss it out, and leech as much info as you can while you're at it.
  8. Most chains will tighten up with the rider on the bike, so they will give the impression of being loose if you run the bike on the stand.

To the OP, you really need to get hold of, at least, the handbook and the toolkit that came with the bike. Your Suzuki dealer should be able to supply both at, admittedly, exorbitant cost. A Haynes manual and a trip to SuperCrap for the specific tools needed for the task might be cheaper. Stuff like chain adjustment is routine and, I would maintain, an essential ability for any owner.

You might even have a helpful local Netrider who could show you how to do it.
  9. Happened to my GS500e, gave it a handful going across and intersection, heard a frightful noise and a loss of power, limped home, took my car to the wreckers for a chain and sprockets off a freshly crashed GS with 5000km on it for something like 30 bucks, and replaced em myself. Easy stuff mate, apart from the fact that i had to cut through the chain with half a blunt hacksaw blade cause I couldn't get the locking link thing off. Took me 2 hours.
  10. Thanks guys! A friend is going to show me how it's done. I have also decided to invest in a toolkit of some sort.. obviously owning a bike requires at least limited self-maintenance so I might as well dig deep and do it properly.

I'll do a tighten first and monitor it over the next few months before the next service due end March/early April. If the chain/sprocket needs to be replaced i'll do it at that service.