Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Chain came off the rear sprocket

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' at netrider.net.au started by BiaggiWNB, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Hey guys,

The chain came off while I was pulling off from the lights and there is not enough slack to roll it back on neither am I skilled enough to loosen the nuts an fix it.

Does anyone know of a mobile mechanic to fix this without charging a fortune?

It's a little Aprilia 125 by the way.

Thanks all!

2. What state & suburb?

3. It's easy

You probably have the tools in the kit that came with the bike.
    Or buy a bike that has a shaft drive and then you won't have that problem ever again.

4. Seriously dude, you should learn to do a chain adjustment if you are going to own a motorcyle.

The car equivalent is topping up your oil.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Thanks guys.

SE suburbs - towards Frankston.

How do you align the rear wheel when the axle comes loose?

6. If the master link on your chain is clipped on, remove the link and put the chain back on the sprocket.

But it is really not difficult to loosen the axle and adjusting screws to get the chain back on.

When the bike's moving again, get the chain and sprockets checked for wear.

Good luck!

7. Look closely when you undo the axle nut, There will be a scale there, etched into the metal - like a gauge or ruler measurements. Just make sure it's the same distance either side and you're good to go.I normally nip the axle nut, that's all, just nip, adjust to scale, ensure you have an inch of free play on the chain, then tighten the axle nut.

Edit: look at 2.25 on the vid you can see the markings there

8. streetmasterstreetmaster might be able to help, assuming he's home from work. He's in Frankston North. Google Streetmaster Motorcycle Repairs bc I'm not putting his number on here. He does mobile motorcycle repairs, but not too exxy, and very good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. A properly maintained chain will not come off.

If the chain had come off while you were riding at speed it could have potentially killed you.

This is not some minor issue, you need to learn how to adjust and maintain your chain.

• Agree Agree x 7
  10. Or pay someone to do it, like I do....

Yes, I'm lazy.

• Like Like x 1
  11. NSW Motorcycle Alliance. Like RACV but for bikes, one hell of a lot cheaper to join than the RACV and will do a shit load more than the RACV promises but won't deliver.

12. Once you have had someone fix your bike - learn how to adjust and maintain the chain yourself. Or sell the bike before you kill yourself.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. All,

Thanks for the suggestions.

Well, I really tried my best but can't go any further than this:

Attached Files:

14. Try putting a few links of the chain on the sprocket then roll the bike forward or backward and the chain should roll back onto the sprocket. From looking at the picture, if you roll the bike backward now the chain should go back on.

• Agree Agree x 1