Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Chain and sprocket distance

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by nicka, Mar 24, 2007.

1. My bike needs new chain and sprockets and i have just come across a set 2nd hand on ebay but how many KM's are a set good for.
    I have never had a bike long enough too know and i am guessing this would probably depend a lot on how hard it has been riden.

I know i am best to buy new ones buy Re my other thread about my bike needing a lot spent on it and trying to decide if its worth all the money i can get some second hand parts maybe.

Its on a GSX1100.

Cheers

Nick

2. On a GSX-1100 I wouldn't even be thinking of second-hand drive train components. You've got a big, powerful torquey motor. You need quality sprockets and a good D.I.D. chain. Spend the money once now, rather than buy good stuff later when this dubious gear claps out.

3. Forget secondhand chains and sprockets. You DON'T want those things failing on you.

How long they last will depend on:

1) Do you keep it lubed regularly?
    2) Do you replace sprockets with the new chain, and use good wuality hard sprockets?
    3) Do you keep it adjusted to the correct length?
    4) Do you chew it up with burnouts, wheelies and hard acceleration?
    and of course 5) Did you buy a top-rate chain?

I agree with H6's advoce; for something as powerful as the 1100, go for the top of the range DID chain. Expensive, but worth it.

4. Thanks for the repies guys as it makes a lot of sense what your saying and i shouldn't scab out but i have just this morning got onto a set that have only done 300-500 Km.

I was about to order new ones but these ones are a fraction of the new price.

What do you think.

Nick

5. It's your money, mate. How do you know that you are being told the truth? I doubt that anyone would remove and sell them after only 500ks

6. Thanks for the help guys, i love the help you can get on this site :wink:

The story with the 300-500km chain was it was put on a bike about 2 years ago and ridden for about the 300-500km in the first week and then the bike was left in a shed for 2 years and then when the owner got it out to ride it he blew up the motor i guess from just sitting there and so he just took the bike to the wreckers.

What a waste of a good GSX1100 :cry:

I left that one alone as it was a 4 hour trip for me to get it but i got another one of my local wreckers today.
    OK i know you all told me to stay clear of second hand but it looked and felt like new and in comparison to my old one this chain had no movement in it at all sideways or back and forward when stretching it but as for my old chain that i just took off i could lay it out on the bench and stretch it 25mm of slack :shock: Yeah it was stuffed but this is a bike that i am slowly fixing up and i also replaced the brake pads today there were almost metal to metal. :shock: :shock:

The sprockets did match the new 630 chain Bugs as thats what the old one was and the guy at the wreckers told me it was only about 15% worn and not to replace them as the chain just looked like a cheap aftermarket that never held up to the sprockets.

O>K next question is what sort of chain lube do you guys use and how frequently do you lube it.

Thanks again for all your help.

Nick

7. Oh and the reason why i only wanted to buy second hand is i may upgrade my bike in the very near future and although i want to keep it safe but i just wouldn't get the money back in the sale of it.

8. It doesn't matter what brand, but how you do it. Keep the chain and sprockets clean, and oil them when you get home, not before you go out.