Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cfmoto 150nk - Good first bike?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Robdog87, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Hey guys I recently just got my licence and looking at buying a bike!! I really like the look of the new Cfmoto 150nk. I only need to get up to 90km/hr and have about a 30min trip to work!! What do you guys think of this bike?

2. Haven't heard much about the Cfmoto. Have you seen the Aprilia ETX/STX 150? I am not sure if it sells in Aus, but it's only $3,000 NZD here
  3. Thanks I just had a quick look but don't think that sell in Australia:(
  4. Seeing as u asked for our opinion here's mine. I wouldn't buy it. Will be hard to sell when the time comes. U will end up selling it for no where near what u paid for it. If I had $3000 for a learner bike I would buy a ninja 250, or u could prob get a 300 if u look around.
  5. Test ridden it about 6 months ago when I was comparing it to the Honda 125e. (settled on honda)
    It will maintain 100 and is overall a decent bike, it has the edge over the honda of being a little bit faster and doesn't vibrate so bad...seemed well designed other than the footstand.

Personally I would suggest you a second hand 250 if your planning to operate at freeway speeds on a daily basis, much more safer and allows you to get out the left lane which is full of dangers.
  6. I know of a guy who had one. It was constantly stranding him. Get a 250 and not a cfmoto.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Wife has the CB125 and it's just too slow for freeway riding - about 90 km/h max. The CF is not a lot bigger... I suspect you'd do better with a 250 or larger. I would also counsel against buying a brand new bike as your first, if that's what you're thinking: you're always going to sell it on, and you take a big depreciation hit buying a new bike and then selling in a year or two. Pick up something like a 250 Ninja second hand: it'll do you a lot better while restricted, and you'll lose a heap less and therefore have more to spend on your 'real bike' later.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Get a ninja for sure
  9. Can you get the Hyosung X4 in Aus?
  10. Haven't seen it at any of my dealers or on the road.
    You'd be very game to have a Hyosung as a commuter, especially one that's not a few years old with plentiful parts.
  11. Mate I would also go a little larger, 300 if possible. Particularly if you are a biggish fellow as the little 125/150's won't have anough torque to get you going in a hurry.

As an aside, being that you're a builder, I assume you're not planning on carrying tools/equipment on this thing? If you are, you'll need bigger cc for sure lol!
  12. Why is that? I have the X4R (GD250R) which is a new 2015 model and it seems to have quite good support, with aftermarket parts available.
  13. They don't exactly have a good (reliable) reputation here. Plenty of stories (some on this site) of new owners with issues from day one of a brand new bike. Glad to hear that yours seems to be ok.

14. I thought most of the bad reputation came from older models and the Hyosung GT650R.
  15. May well be the case, I was referring to the brand as a whole. Takes a while for the later models to prove their worth (if they do in fact prove reliable) and hence better the brand.
  16. Only talking from my experiences commuting and talking to people at the bike rank at uni.
    Many Hyosungs failed to arrive everyday with their owners quickly replacing them with more reliable Japanese bikes and copping a very poor resale value.

The dealer who supports Hyosungs in Victoria are not renown for outstanding service and having a high availability of spare parts which often results in weeks delay to order things in after a failure or tumble. Electrical's seemed to be the biggest let down followed by a poor quality of finish with them quickly getting surface rust. This is compared to my 8 year old zzr at the time which I sold for more than I brought it, had next day part availability and for the most part was extremely reliable.

I can't comment on the reliability of the 150nk specifically other than the local dealer who stock them guaranteeing them full parts availability on the spot or they would take it off bike in store.