Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Centrestand vs Sidestand

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by ametha elf, May 23, 2011.

1. I ride a cruiser weighing 250kg dry. For the life of me I just cannot lift it up onto the centrestand. I'm not very strong and not very tall so I can't see me lifting it up by myself at any time in the future as I've actually been trying for nearly 2 years now!!. My hubby has been hauling it up for me but he says it's quite ok to just leave it on the sidestand when not being ridden, is that right?

2. Sidestand is fine, but you will find it is a technique rather than brute strength that allows you to use the centre stand. I won't attempt to describe it here, if hubby can show you its probably best.
  3. Sidestand is fine, yeah. (In fact nowadays most motorcycles only have a centrestand as an optional extra, if that)

Mind you, putting a bike onto the centrestand is more to do with leverage than strength - have you considered reviewing your technique? (Youtube, other riders, etc?)
  4. There is absolutely no issue with leaving the bike on the sidestand. My bikes have only ever been left on their sidestands, and probably 90% of riders will say the same. I only use the centrestand when there's limited room to either side, or when I'm cleaning and/or lubing the chain, and when I'm cleaning the bike completely.

EDIT: just when you do put it on the sidestand, best to leave it in gear (1st) so if someone bumps it, it won't roll forward and crash, or getting on when you're on a hill, you don't have to immediately be on the brakes!
  5. I'd prefer sidestand tbh, 3 points of contact with the ground rather than two.
  6. Technically, center stand still has 3 points of contact....
    But that's just being technical......:p

I'm with you prefer side with bike in gear......
  7. i believe, and someone correct me if i am wrong, that the correct technique is, to simply pull back, instead of lift, to get the bike on the side stand.

there should be minimal effort involved.
  8. #8 lowercase, May 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  9. corrected 8-[
  10. Yep. Use your leg/foot & push through. I have a VFR with a c/stand & when I first got it I found it REALLY hard to get it on to it. Got shown how to do it properly & it's quite easy.
  11. Pretty much it. Pushing down on the leg of the stand is the big bit. Then it is easier to just straiten up with the right arm gripping the rear cowl or rear foot peg braket if there is not a bit made for lifting onto the center stand.
    Don't really subscribe to rocking it on the feet of the center stand as it can get away from you. The feet have no choice but to touch down. Think they mean make sure you are on flat ground. If not angle the bike so it is.
    Also think it's much better to be sitting on the bike and rocking it off the stand as to being on the side as once again it can bounce and fall away from you if you are standing on the side of it.
  12. Side stand. (y)
  13. I'm a habitual centrestand user (when I've got one) but there's nothing really wrong with using the sidestand. The only bike I can think of which has a slight issue with it is the BMW K100 which tends to puff a little smoke on startup afterwards.

Although getting a bike onto the centrestand is largely technique related, some are definitely easier than others. Again, as an example, I present the BMW K100. When mine had its original stand, even after practice it was a fair old heave to get it over centre. After I'd snapped two centrestands (a known fault with the bike) I put on the improved stand from a later model. The first time I used it I gave it the usual heave and almost fell over it was so easy :LOL:..
  14. I had a lot of issue with getting it onto the centrestand when I first got my bike a couple months ago. I was trying to get it on while sitting on it, and just didn't have the leverage to get it up. So I was just leaving it on the sidestand until a friend of my dad freaked out and showed me how to get it on the centre properly. You just stand to the side like normal when getting off (can put on the sidestand here if you're not confident on holding the bike straight), stand on the centrestand peg firmly with one foot, grip the back of the seat (Closest hard point after that is the wheel guard thing which is a little uncomfortable), then pull the seat up and backwards it just glides on.
  15. LOL that's funny. Putting it on the center stand while sitting on it.
    You like everything else with a bike. Have to relax. If you have your foot firmly planted on the center stand the bike will hold up by itself. Don't fret or wear yourself out trying to grip the bike hard and reef it up. Literally stand on the leg of the stand and straiten. Like opening a scissor movement.
  16. I use the centrestand when parking on dirt or anything that I think the stand might sink into. That way there's no nasty surprises when I come back to my bike.

As others have said, it's doubtful that you're not strong enough to prop the bike onto the centre stand. You might just need someone to show you the proper technique. Your husband might not be the best person to do that. If he's been doing it for you for two years, it's possible that he doesn't use a good technique but is strong enough to just yank it up in any manner.

Where you stand is important. I've got a big, strong muscular mate who couldn't move his ZZR at all until I pointed out that he needed to move about a foot forward.

That said, neither of my bikes weigh 250 kg.
  17. Bretto, it's not a lot of effort moving the bike, just exerting a little pressure and like I said it just glides into place. Didn't mean to imply I was hauling all 200kgs. And I originally tried doing it while sitting on it because that's what the guy at the dealership did, but he was a fair bit taller than me so it was probably easier
  18. Ok thought I would post a pic of how easy it is. This thing weighs about 240kg I think.
    Pic one. I have my weight on the stand and my knee into the bike. That is all that's needed to hold it. I am level with the stand and it's a comfy reach to the bars and where I want to grab it. You do want to be level with where the stand is. Because the bike is going to roll back a bit when it rolls up onto the stand.

Pic two I just grab hold of the bike where I need to. That being the left bar and the rear peg bracket as it does not have a dedicated rear grab rail. My weight is still on the Center stand to hold the bike up. I have not used up any energy yet.

Pic three. Now all I am going to do is stand on the center stand and that will raise my right arm on the rear peg bracket. I am also pulling back with the bars.
  19. Pic six. So now I am putting all my weight on the side stand. And leaning back to bring the bike back. I don't so much try and lift with my right arm, more straiten my body and that lifts the rear of the bike. Use your legs sort of thing.

And pic six there is the fat gay thing sitting all by itself on it's center stand
  20. It's definitely a technique thing. As a sub 60kg 17 year old working in a motorcycle shop, I got to shift all sorts of bikes onto and off of centrestands.
    The most common problem is not putting enough weight on the stand pedal.
    First, try to park somewhere hard and flat. A concrete slab is ideal.
    Lower the stand so that both prongs contact the ground. Bike needs to be vertical.
    I find it easiest to turn the handlebars on full lock towards me and grasp by that grip and the lift handle under the edge of the seat.
    Now put all your weight on the stand. The bike will be quite stable so you can lift the other foot off the ground if need be.
    From here it's an easy up and back roll to get the bike on the stand.