Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Centre Stand

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by chris4wally, Jul 9, 2007.

1. I have a new GS500 and dropped it today trying to get it on the centre stand but luckily the handle bar stopped on the trailer tyre and no damage. :shock:
    Anyway has anyone got advice on getting the bike on the centre stand as I like to leave it that way in the shed to prevent the kids nocking it over.I have had the plaster off my right are for a couple of weeks and it's still a bit week at the moment and was a major contribition to loosing a grip. Consider myself resonably strong at 100kg but once it started to go I couldn't stop her.
    Didn't realise how hard bikes are to get back up either.
    Any tips would be appreciated.
    P.S went for a spin around Mt Panorama today :grin:

2. OK, the great centre-stand question.

Stand beside the bike, grasp the handlebars with your left hand and the passenger grab handle or a spot under the seat with your right.

Push the centre-stand down to the ground with your right foot and rock the bike away from yourself till both of the stand feet are on the ground.

Then press DOWN on the stand lever with your right foot, (I know that sounds silly, but trust me) and at the same time lift the bike with your right hand.

I can't explain the physics, but the bike will rise up and to the rear and pop onto the stand as easy as anything with little apparent effort.

Getting off the stand is usually easiest done by sitting on the bike and rocking it forward, with both your feet on the ground. When the stand has popped up and out of the way, if you're not going to ride away straight away, pop down the sidestand and get off.
  3. Getting the bike on the centre stand is more about technique than strength...I hold the bars with my left hand to keep the bike steady, have my right foot on the centre stand tang and my right hand on the hand grip under the ducktail...in one smooth motion you need to basically push all your body weight onto your right leg while simultaneously pulling up with your right arm (although your leg does most of the work)...my Blackbird weighs about 225kg so she is no light weight and I had problems at first...but once you get the technique right it's a piece of piss...practice and it will all come good

beaten to it...bugger :grin:
  4. My zzr was a pain in the arse to get on the centrestand. That is until I found the handle next to the pillion peg that you're supposed to use :D Its about technique, not force - find a handle, get the from wheel pointed straight, and use force from your foot, whilst pulling up and back.
  5. All of what everyone previous has said, plus italics, underlining and bold on the "keep the steering straight" part.

6. If you are tall, resist the urge to lift with your arms in a vain attempt to get the bike on the stand, it won't work!
    You want to set the bike up level, you standing to the left of the bike, and facing it square on. Your left hand on the left handlebar, and right hand on the handle udner the seat, or some other strong point close to your body.
    Put your right foot on the stand lever and hold it agains the ground whilst rocking the bike left to right slightly. You will feel when teh centre stand has both feet on teh ground.
    Now, start to pull back on the handlebar with your left arm, whilst sumultaneously steppinf down HARD on teh centrestand lever and lifting with your right arm.
    What you are trying to do is have a smooth, fluid motion so you use the inertia of the bike moving backwards slightly to help the bike up and over the flucrum of the centrestand.
    I leave my sidesnatd extended when getting my bike up onto the centrestand,if it starts to get away from me (265kg bike), I can just pull it back towards me, knowing it won't fal. Your bike may or may not allow you to do this.
    *edit* yes, my typing sucks at 11pm.
    Regards, Andrew.
  7. I had so much trouble getting the VTR250 onto its centre stand until i realised it didn't have a centre stand !! D'Oh! :LOL:

Only kidding!!

We were shown on hte Day of our L's how to get the bike on to its centre stand and it is amazing how simple it really is once you know how to do it.

Good luck & hope you regain the strength in your arm soon.
  8. Chris4wally - It really is technique not strength. A weak right arm may make it a little harder, but you should still be ok with a GS500 at about 170kg.

I used to pop my old Triumph Sprint Executive (220kg dry) when fully loaded with luggage (say 20kg) with no problems. I weigh less than you and you are probably stronger than me.

I won't repeat the instructions, what has been said by hornet600 and typhoon is spot on the money. It's not about strength.

If you're worried about dropping it, get someone to stand on the other side of the bike and support it for you while you practice. In no time, you'll be doing it with your eyes closed.
  9. ahhhh so that's how its done :oops:

*goes home to practise*
  10. Thanks for all the tips guys I knew I could rely on the netrider crew. Will now have to go and practice.
    I did do a search before posting but couldn't find anything.
  11. the gs500 has a convenient point on the frame where you can pull with your right hand to help it over.

Typhoon is bang on the money, but this is my exact method for the gs500, showing the grab point.

1. stand beside your bike
    2. hold handlebars straight w/left hand
    3. stabilize the rear end with your right hand as you push the stand down hard against the ground with your right foot
    (you will notice the bike become very stable as both feet of the C-stand are on the ground)
    4. Grab the frame with your right hand as shown in the photo, and pull up and backwards while keeping heavy foot pressure on the stand.
    It will rock over very easily without you needing to heave it.

12. Thnx actionman...i`ll have to check that point on my bike...i`ve avoided this issue for a while but practised today next to a wire fence in case it dropped but no worries...not as hard as i thought...also, a guy on another forum posted that he runs the back wheel up on a piece of wood which makes it easier to get the bike on the stand, then removes the wood to do repairs etc
  13. centrestands are such a usefull accessory, i have had to abandon my bike on the side of the road here many times with flat tyres overnight while getting the rear fixed. so far i havent had a flat on the front.. its all dirt out here except close to town, and the shale is very sharp.,
    putting the bike up on its stand with a flat rear tyre is more difficult you would think ?, but its not. choose a level bit of ground, reasonably hard dirt if the bike is going to stay 24 hours or more. i spread the dirt around with my boot and look for anything solid to put under the feet of the stand if its really loose. do as typhoon suggested, pull back on the middle of the bars, press down on the stand with as much weight as you can muster holding the rear grab bar and it will rock back.
    something to check for on dirt , make sure the mud hasnt built up a layer of crap on the contact points when the stand meets the frame. once i had mine roll forward again after putting it up on the stand as it didnt stand up properly.
    remove valuables from the bike and hope its still there when you get back, or a truck or roadtrain hasnt pushed it over with the airblastwave they generate

14. It's amazing what a few tips and a little technique can do. Bike goes up on the stand easy now with a minimum of arm effort. You were right hornet about the pressure with the right foot being the key and I can do it confidently now without embarassing myself in public.
    Thanks again for the help.
  15. Also i forgot to add chris4wally that i am out of mt panorama area about an hours ride or so. Its dang cold out here , snow expected tomorrow and wednesday.
    about the bike weights , i ride a honda transalp 650v, its over 200 kilos plus gear, i carry a lot as getting stuck on the side of the road here you need food, water, two way radio gear and cold/wet weather gear. take the back bag off b4 you put it up on the stand.
    practice with the centre stand, plan what you would do if you had a flat out in the bush.