Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Centre stand scraped road on leaning....

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by MikeBike, Nov 1, 2010.

1. This freaked me out so I stood the bike up and ran wide with what could have been very bad consequences.....as it was nothing coming other way so all fine...

Does this mean:

a) nothing, centre stand scraping road cannot disturb bike and is "normal"
    b) I should lean body more so bike doesn't have to lean as much
    c) other?

Also, this occurred as I was getting more (over?) confident with cornering technique/leaning etc

Thanks

2. Both a and b are correct

3. Put your bike on side stand, grab centrestand. Move up and down. This is how far it can move before either your rear wheel lifts or you bend the stand.

Have a look at the rest of your bike. Note what will start scraping if you lean over more.

Scrap centre stand, sell bike or get your knee out. Your choice.

4. Scraping the undercarriage just means you've reached maximum lean. It's time to start practicing weight shifting if you want to go any harder.

Most bikes have quite a margin between the first scraping noises and digging in hard enough to actually affecting the bike. As long as you sneak up on it gradually it's not particularly dangerous on smooth roads, although hitting bumps and potholes can throw things around a bit.

Or maybe I'm just blase 'cos I cut my biking teeth on machinery with limited ground clearance, so clangs, scrapes, showers of sparks, holes ground in exhaust cans and chamfers on boot soles were normal and fun :D.

5. Have to disagree with a. Scraping hard parts = bad. You're out of lean. You need to steer the bike quicker, and/or move your body to the inside to use less lean.

6. B is correct. If the stand digs in, it certainly can throw you off.

So work on fixing your body position.

Yak, I dont see how quicksteering would reduce lean - tipping in faster requires more lean, albeit for less time?

7. No it doesn't. The quicker you steer, the less time you spend getting to any given lean angle, the less lean you need to make a given corner.

8. Less angle in general yes, in that you're sustaining lean for less time - but surely the peak lean angle is increased? (compared to tipping in slowly)

9. The first things that hit the deck really should be either your pegs or your knee, hitting the deck first with you centre stand suggests that you might not have your suspension adjusted correctly or that you're too heavy for the springs fitted to your bike.

Either that or you're riding a cruiser/tourer that has other priorities than handling as the bikes main criteria.

But I agree with the posters above, modify your riding style first, maybe try doing an advanced riding or cornering course.

If you're still grounding your centre stand after that then check to make sure your suspension sag is correct, if it's not adjust it, if it's still not start changing stuff or live with it :)

10. No, and I just explained to you why it isn't. Maybe if you tell me why you think it's the case?

11. Ermm...Yak... Late turn in does actually require a more aggressive lean angle, but for a shorter amount of time. That's the whole point of it, matey.
    Because it's for a shorter amount of time, you can be later on the brakes and earlier on the gas.

Nevertheless, while the scraping of parts is not the end of the world - it can be if you happen to hit a yump or bump at just the wrong time, as patb suggests.

OP... it IS a sign that you are closing in on your bikes limits. A foot peg will fold up, but your centrestand won't move, or bend...once it is dragging, it is time for you to slow down or start training yourself to improve your body positioning, start hanging off etc - just make sure you learn to do it efficiently or you'll be waisting your time.
    Also invest in some good tyres that will keep you safer closer to the limits.

Smee is correct. But go a little bit too far and you will disappear off the road.

12. Raven, champ - for any given corner speed, steering the bike quicker will result in less required lean.

13. ...and I explained why, above.

14. My butt-gyro claims otherwise, supported by the thought that if you are have the same change between angle from upright to tipped in, but competing the motion in less space, the peak lean angle will be greater than if you tipped in slowly?

15. Umm..is it possible that's 'cause your butt dyno puckers up when attempting a quick steer?

16. Dude, you really didn't explain why, you just made the statement, you get there quicker so you lean less. There was no supporting theory. As it stands, I agree with Raven, tipping in later doesn't make you lean less. It's akin to saying a hairpin is a shorter and quicker turn than a big sweeper, so you need to create more lean for the sweeper.

Its physics, the sharper the turn, the faster you go, the more lean angle required, and by tipping in later, you're creating a sharper turn.

17. This is assuming same entry speed and tip in point for both? The difference will be minor, and the new line your are taking (larger radius) will be less optimal as you will have to apex earlier.

With the same speed but slightly later tip in point, so as to take the same line as normal, the lean angle will be the same.

18. Juddy, during that time where you're taking your time to get the bike over to whatever lean angle, you're moving and using up corner, and increasing the needed lean at the apex. Make sense?

See if you can grasp how they put it here, then:

http://www.sportbikes.com/articles3e5c.html

19. Lots of noobs who clearly know better. Call Rossi and tell him to stop steering so quickly.

/Yak out.

20. That article concerns a variation or cohesion with codes cornering teachings, and while it talks of moving you braking point further in, gradually, it doesn't really address the change in lean angle required , all other things being equal.

In that respect I fail miserably to understand what they are getting at, apart from the variations in cornering trajectory, created.

If you move either of those cornering lines deeper into the corner, you will start pulling higher and higher lean angles for shooter periods of time which is what a late turn is all about, and which leads to a steeper initial leanangle as a result.

I cannot see how that is avoidable at all?