Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Center stand...

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by kinch, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Okay, this is another really embarassing thing for me... but... is there a trick to getting the bike up on the center stand? I simply can't do it... if I rock it back, I can't build up enough momentum. Trying to balance with one foot on the ground, the other trying to push the stand down, and keep the bike upright so it doesn't fall over seems impossible. Am I doing something wrong, or is it purely muscle work?

2. #2 hornet, Aug 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    OK, 'tis easy
    1. Stand beside the bike, grip the left handlebar with the left hand and grab a solid part of the bike around the rear seat area (grab handle? perfect!) with your right hand. Place your right foot on the centre-stand lever and push it down to the ground.
    2. Press down as hard as you can on the centre-stand lever, while lifting the bike to the right (backwards if it was travelling).
    3, Voila; the bike will slide upwards and backwards onto the stand and all the chicks standing by will cheer and sigh at what a hunk you are :rofl:.

This smart-aleck does it with just one hand, on a Honda VFR [media=youtube]iTDCcQsDj2o[/media]

3. #3 RacingTurtles, Aug 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    There's a bit of technique to this. Unfortunately it's one of those things that are easier to show than to describe. Fortunately thanks to the wonders of the net you can find a clip that will show you how - for example, OwXZyJSPkx4[/media]]this one

4. Yeah, the vid is very helpful. It's getting some weight on the centre stand lever and using that to raise the bike, rather than trying to pull/lift the bike itself, that is the key.

5. 1) Put bike in reverse...

6. Put all your weight on the centrestand. You can lift your other foot off the ground and you will find the bike is quite stable. From there its not much of a lift. I remember as a 55Kg 180cm junior working for Ken George Yamaha around '74, lifting XS650's onto the centrestand. No beef required.

7. If you put enough of your body weight on the centre stand, it's not really possible for the bike to fall over, assuming your doing it on a flat, level surface. There is little muscle work involved, the trick is in the technique. Follow the good advice from this thread, or do a YouTube search (there are plenty of good vids, this is how I learned, doesn't matter which bike they are demonstrating on either).

8. Thanks people!!! I will try this out this afternoon... and if I still can't do it, I'll sell the bike ;)

9. If it's an older bike and there's a possibility that the centre stand may not have been used for a while try lubing the pivots first - may make things a lot easier.

10. Really? I must try that.

Mind you, I do have the world's most elaborate sidestand on the Amazing Reversing Ural :grin: .

Seriously though, the amount of effort required does vary from bike to bike and, in some cases, between model years. As an example, my old K100 was a real hernia special with it's original stand. After breaking two (see, there are BMW owners who admit to faults in their chosen mount) I fitted a stand from a later K100. First time I put it up, I braced myself for the usual heave and fell over backwards as the bike rolled onto the stand with almost no effort at all. An astonishing difference.

11. its all technique. try it first with the bike on a slight uphill slope (front wheel higher than the back) so you have gravity helping.

12. Of course getting it off the stand again will be more difficult. :wink:

13. its actually ok. I do it all the time with my wifes scooter in our back lane.
    (it won't start with the sidestand down so to warm it up it needs to be up on the centre stand)

14. Also make sure that the centre stand is down squarly on the ground (that is , the bike isn't leaning to one side).

As has been said the trick is more technique than muscle but different bikes may have their own little idiosyncracies. I find it easier to get my bike on it's stand, than LizzyM's CB250, which is lighter. In fact much more lighterer.

PatB said:
    I have yet to find one who said there weren't faults. Whoever the d@4khead was at BMW who designed the sidestand on my bike to be out of reach while you are on the bike deserves to have a driveshaft inserted where the sun dont shine.

15. Yet surprisingly, being on a hill or flat surface makes a noticable difference when getting Shelley's FZ6 off it's centre stand. I wonder why that is? :wink: :)

16. He must have been my height. Works beaut for me. I just wish normal doorways did. Count yourself lucky...

:LOL:

17. Success!!! Woohoo, another step closer to becoming an adept at bikes and not a dumbass! Now I'm free to clean and oil the chain...

Thanks again to the advice (so that's what that damn handle was... I was using to attach bungee cords and straps to, when I have luggage on the back of the bike hehe). Next step, mastering the one-handed deal! Onwards! :)

18. I can provide a scrap driveshaft if you need it. Just as long as you don't mind waiting until I've used it to beat to death whoever designed the driveshaft/final drive spline to be so tempting to neglect :evil: .

19. I've seen the following technique used by Vespa riders in Italy to get off the stand, especially when parked facing uphill: the rider climbs aboard his scooter while on it's centrestand and starts the engine.

He then moves back on the seat to shift his weight onto the back. The scooter rocks onto the back wheel and the front wheel is now off the ground. Rider selects gear, dumps clutch and accelerates. The centre stand flies up and off they go!

20. That same technique is used right here in Australia by a friend with a 230+ kilogram Suzuki Burgmann 650! :LOL: