Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

N/A | National Census - Question 54 - A response

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by DamoSV650, Oct 26, 2011.

1. I sent in feedback to the ABS about Census question 54 which excluded bikes form vehicles parked at the house.

I don't have my text, but broadly it went along the lines of I didn't appreciate motorcycles being excluded. That we were legitimate vehicles and suffered enough problems from being marginalised and excluded from road planning as it is. And being excluded form these types of questions just added to the problem. And asked them to look at revising their question for next time.

I just received a response:

Thank you for your feedback regarding Question 54 in the 2011 Census.

A wide range of information on the use and registration of motor cycles and motor scooters is collected by the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS). The ABS collects data about motor cycles and motor scooters on a regular basis in the ABS Motor Vehicle Census and the Survey of Motor Vehicle Use. Data from the most recent collections have been released in the following publications: Motor Vehicle Census, Australia, 31 January 2011 (cat. no. 9309.0) and Survey of Motor Vehicle Use, Australia, 12 months ended 31 October 2010 (cat. no. 9208.0). The Survey of Motor Vehicle Use publication contains statistics on passenger vehicle, motor cycle, truck and bus use with characteristics such as distance travelled, fuel consumption and area of operation. These publications are freely available on the ABS website <www.abs.gov.au.>

Question 45 does include motorcycles and scooters when asking how people got to work on 9 August 2011.

You might be interested to know that the Australian Statistician plans, in late 2012, to call for submissions in preparation for the 2016 Census and will invite public comment on changes to the Census form, where suggestions such as these can be discussed further. An information paper with more details about the submission process will be available at that time from the ABS website.

I trust this information is of use to you and express that your feedback is appreciated. I would like to thank you for your participation in the 2011 Census.

Warm regards

Joanne Godwin

Census Field Operations

So... looks like this needs a follow up late next year to get the form changed for next time.

2. This is what I get from this........

The question is to gauge the use of parking in each suburb.

They don't count pushbikes in question 54 either.

Therefore we are the same parking impact as pushbikes.

Pushbikes don't pay for parking in council areas.

Therefore motorcycles shouldn't pay for parking.

3. I like that you actually got a response that was meaningful!
    Poor Joanne - I doubt she works in government any more...

4. Yep - exactly the same reply as I got from Joanne when I questioned the same thing.

Hopefully she'll have to reuse that reply enough times that they get the message for the next census.

cheers

Dave

5. Firstly, well done in actually writing to ABS to query this. Too many people simply winge and don't do anything.

If you think the reply is rubbish engage in further questions.

My rule for dealing with bureaucrats is to keep asking questions. If you get a standard answer that doesn't address the question write back politely thanking them for their reply but point out it doesn't answer the qeustion and respond again.

In this case it is good that they do do other stuff which provides info on motorcycles but doesn't adrress why motorcycles were ecluded from questin 54.

Personally I am more interested in their other data as it forms the basis for TAC VicRoad et al claims for 38 times more likely.

Another thing you may wish to do is request that when they call for submission for the 2016 Census you be given specific notice as you wish to put in a submission. Even if you don't you can then at least post it on Netrider.

Heading off to the ABS website to check the publications.

6. What a surprise, I sent in some feedback and got the exact same reply LOL

As mentoned maybe they will get the hint and add it next time!!

7. I notice they put it all back on us again, saying an information paper will be put on the ABS website in late 2012 about the submission process. Well, good luck in finding that in 2012. :)

If anyone happens to see at that time, make sure you post a thread on NR.

Good on you for raising the issue in the first instance. Has anyone ever been involved in the ABS Motor Vehicle Census or received the Survey of Motor Vehicle Use? I certainly haven't.