Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Celebrating Halloween in Oz - WTF?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Kamikaze_Kawasaki, Oct 25, 2012.

1. FMD, this week the supermarket catalogues were full of Halloween candy and decorations. There is even a Woolies ad promoting Pumpkin carving. Clearly the retailers have embraced a new marketing gimmick to cash in on.

Obviously I am not a fan, and think we are becoming too Americanised. So what's your opinion? Do you like it or hate it?
  2. Read crap like this every year. Get over it!
    Do you celebrate Christmas, Easter etc from a religious perspective?
    Queens Birthday because you're a monarchist?
  3. I love the 31st Oct it for its the day my first child was born :)

My daughter turns 7 this year and wants a zombie party..lol

this is the invite I made for her (of her)...lol

Halloween itself as a celebration is a wank
  4. What a whinger you are, cazzo

for the record it's an internet DISCUSSION forum, you know, someone says something and we discuss it???????

if you're not interested in discussing the subject, shut up and stay out of it!
  5. So what have you added Hornet? Nothing I see apart from, well, nothing as per usual.

It's Halloween, big deal where the tradition started. Get the kids off thier I product and out n about.

What's your opinion Hornet? Oh I see, you don't have one...
  6. Valentine's day was invented purely to sell cards - yet plenty of people celebrate that every year.

Can't blame supermarkets/shops for trying to encourage something that makes them money. At least they're not trying to promote Thanksgiving (yet).
  7. **** Halloween.
    Cracker night-that was THE best night of year.

Hordes of teenagers running around with paper bags full of small bombs.
  8. Im going to a halloween party , Well a really cool excuse for a 3 day forest blowout , with lazers and bass @ a even more secret location then my new addy , sometimes , life looks good
  9. Halloween is a pagan festival, adopted by the apostate church and re-named as All-Hallow's Eve, or Halloween.

Its most important date was 1517, when Martin Luther chose All-Hallow's Eve to nail his 95 Theses to the door of Wittneberg Cathedral.

Aside from all that, it's just another money-making opportunity for people who want to Americanise our country....
  10. I cant wait for

11. Halloween is traditionally a pagan holiday, it's just been commercialized by 'Merica. F*** yeah!
  12. I think his point is more that its not something traditionally done in Australia and it seems that its taking hold quickly by being pushed onto us by major supermarket chains etc as a cash grab.

I'm inclined to agree with that. Halloween was never celebrated when I was a kid, it was always something done in American films.

Whether its a good or bad thing, I don't know and I don't care. If the kids have fun and hot chicks go to Halloween parties dressed as slutty nurses, then I'll support it anyday ;)
  13. It was moderately popular, done here and there, when I was in primary school in the mid 90's. It's grown really slowly and gradually from that perspective, and I think the Australians supermarkets are just reflecting a consumer demand in this case.

I'm just mad and jealous I'm too old now.
  14. Ha, have to agree. I was in school in the 80s so never experienced it at all.
  15. The shops make a few bucks, the kids do things they see on telly, and old snoozers like me just ignore it.
    I'm with Blabs, guy Fawkes cracker night now that was something. Thrupenny bangers the size of sausages, no letter box was safe.
  16. Where do I sign?

Hallow-farken-ladies I say..........
  17. The difference between Halloween and Christmas and Easter is that I don't get a day off for Halloween, so what the hell am I supposed to be celebrating?
  18. Haha. I love Halloween!

Kids get tons of free candy and it's a reason for chicks to dress real slutty and it's not frowned upon...

I am from Canada though and I grew up with it.

However, I do think it's great that Auz is embracing it and it's just going to get bigger and bigger.
  19. My missus is from Canada too. She misses Halloween and is determined our daughter will have it.
  20. It's actually globalised rather than americanised IMO, but that's a technicality since America has the largest global voice (thank you television).

But that said, I don't mind it. God only knows that life gets sterile and monotonous enough once you become an adult, I'm happy to think kids can enjoy one more meaningless celebration while they're able to.