Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

CE standards on more than impact protectors?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Lobsta, Jul 11, 2008.

1. I was at my friendly Team Moto today, and was getting shown the jackets by the pimply faced teenager, and i asked him about CE standards on more than just the impact protectors, and he looked at me like i'm stupid or something. i went in armed with all the info from the NSW motorcycle council that i found linked on this site, and this bloke said that he had never seen more than just the impact protectors that were CE accredited. is this indicative of most aus gear? or did this guy just have NFI?

2. I have never seen any clothing offered for sale in Australia
    with CE approval on more than just the armour pads/impact protectors.

There are also different levels of CE approval for armour pads;
    e.g. CEII / CE2 offers more protection than CE1.
  3. Lobsta: Yep, that's pretty much the case here in Oz. We have barely any knowledge and visibility of CE apparel testing.

Even overseas, it's mainly impact protectors that are getting the attention (e.g. EN 1621-2 certification). All the other CE standards for things like abrasion resistance, impact cut resistance and burst strength are taking a while to get noticed in the marketplace.

It does sound like the kid had NFI though.