Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

CBX250 project - the speed racer!

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by 87crisis, Apr 29, 2012.

1. i'm going to start a on-going thread here with my first dive into the mechanical side of motorbike's and the 1988 cbx 250 i've purchased with the mindframe of fixing her up as a spare toy/something for the ms's to gain confidence and learn to ride on....

so in advance thankyou for all help you guys are able to provide...i apologise for my lack of grammar and punctuation skills....and admit i might be frustratingly stupid at points but as said...it's my first dive into this side of things...and i love riding and not only would like to save myself money working on my own bikes but would love to ...Understand bike's and how they work - to be able to maintain my bike's confidently

she's got 27,000 kilometre's on the clock and as stated above is a old girl at 24 years of age but seem's to be in fairly good condition

for those not familiar - a pic of the speed racer...the speediest speedster in speedland (even if it struggles around the 100-110 mark Haha.)

now..for the first situation which isn't really mechanical but am just looking to clarify...

...i've unscrewed the f'n oil cap/dipstick out of the engine casing...and oil has just started pouring out...probably about 2-300ml's i'd say...this IS NOT right ....i'm correct here yes? ...any idea as to how this would be caused or just careless maintenance by previous owner?

...the reason i checked this either way was due to noticing a oil leak seeming to come from the middle of the bike dripping down ....luckily enough i'd had a similar problem not long back and checked the oil level (had oil dumping into my air box on the zzr and leaking out)....i was both relieved and frustrated at my discovery of the oil pouring out...

i've a job interview in the morning so i'll leave it there for now

have some general maintenance question's i'll ask ina few days (will check all the sticky's first and if possible work via them but if i hit a brick wall or have a brain fart will surely be here asking for advice :] )

2. oh and a simple question for you all....the gear lever which i've asked about previously - it's the tip that actually come's in contact with your foot that's bent...it still work's fine

so the question here is, presuming it's possible (and i don't have to fork out a mint as spenaroo pointed out replacement pricing) what would be the safest (without breaking it) and easiest way to straighten it up....i know there's risk's here as putting too much stress on it could weaken it greatly and have it snap off via normal use after awhile...so - thoughts?
  3. Yeah definitely not enough however (and please don't feel I am being condescending) did you warm the oil up before you tried draining it? I've forgotten to do that before and it didn't exactly gush out.

Other things you may like to do: check/replace sparkplugs, brake pads and/or brake shoes, fork oil and seals, brake fluid, wheel bearings, flush tank, flush and clean carbs (in particular the jets) and check steering head bearings. Lube and check both throttle and clutch cables and choke cable if necessary.

Not sure if anyone else wants to jump in here and correct me? Anyway just a though. Good luck, I'll keep an eye on this thread.

4. If it's been standing, did the PO fill the engine up entirely to ward off corrosion?

As for the gear lever, is it aluminium or steel? My memory of cheapo Hondas of the era (and they were cheapo, regardless of what people might have actually paid for them) is of steel foot controls. If it is steel, take it off and just bend it cold in a vice. It'll be fine. If it's ally, you've got to be a bit more circumspect, especially given the crap aluminium that Honda were using in the early 80s. Get hold of a blowtorch (cheapy from Bunnings will be fine) and some soap. Smear the soap generously on the bit of the lever you want to bend. Point the blowtorch at it until the soap goes black. Now bend it back to shape and leave it to cool somewhere where curious individuals won't pick it up :LOL:.

I've bent foot controls back into shape using a tyre lever against the engine case or footpeg in an emergency and got away with it but I don't recommend it if you can avoid it.
  5. Patb ta I'll give that a go tomorrow when I get my tools back...sincerely doubt he filled it up to that extent on purpose as he was starting the bike and occasionally doing trips around the block and back just to keep her in shape.....and captain(I think was ur name) tapatalk is a prick and I'm not deleting the above to clarify - point is...it didn't drain from the sump plug/bottom of bike...it poured out of the top where you normally put the oil in
  6. nice to see your thread, im about to start restoring my 1988 VFR400R (too poor to actually make enough of a start to get a thread going)

for your levers, i would just suggest going to mcas and buying some basic oem reproduction levers, they are very cheap, around 20$ each, and easy as hell to fit, i replaced my levers on saturday it took 5 mins each side and all you need is a screw driver and a cresent wrench for the nuts.

I actually saw a CBX earlier today in the city, they look hecktick so 80s!

isnt that what can happen if the oil is way too hot? did it like flow up and out of the dipstick port? as in, defying gravity?

7. i'd love pick up $20 aftermarkets - but i think you Might be confused there...when i say gear lever i mean the gear shifter you change with your foot...not the clutch lever - checked the website briefly and couldn't come across anything like what i'm looking for...spenaroo had quoted around the $300 mark to memory hence me asking if it was possible to fix it

as for the oil...you are correct in regards to how the oil was acting - however the bike hadn't been started yet on the day in question as i just wheeled her around the front yard...so leave's me kinda perplexed.

and yes...it's mind numbingly old school looking ...i've got three option's to go with it...either simply restore it as a classic bike....turn it into a cafe racer...or mod it out with the speed racer decals, white wall tyre's and every accessory possible in white/red - for the time being i'm leaving it as a classic and just focusing on doing the mechanical work needed to have her in tip top condition so it can be utilised rather than sit around & be neglected.

and poor or not...even the stripping back process gives insight into the bikes transformation so a good place to start such a thread...i'd be keen to read up on your plans for the vfr400 as bringing any old bike back to life is always a good read....i've no desire to touch newer bike's when there's so many older both absolute beasts and gutless quirky machine's that are just looking for abit of a service and a tidy up to continue serving their next elated owner (although some do require a hell of alot more work than other's)
  8. This is why I love it when Honda owners tell me how expensive BMWs are to run :LOL:. And one of the reasons why I will never buy another Honda, of course.

There are moments when I feel mind numbingly old school too. I think I just had one :D.
  9. Shit im retarded. Yeah bending it is a good choice.

As for the bike i reckon you should restore it, i have this thing where i think its unethical to extensively modify bikes/cars that are out of production and quite/very rare, i dont know how many CBX's are still going, but if they are rare then i think you should restore it.

Yeah ill post something up about my vfr plans soon, got to pay off the CC before anything can really happen.
  10. The CBX is a single, so thumper road bikes are pretty rare & I reckon if it looks half decent when you're finished you'll get more for it than what you paid for it. Thumpers ooze character, apprantly.
    I think the engine is very similar to a Honda XR250.
    The oil thing sounds like someone kept putting some in untill no more could go in. Too much engine oil is bad from what I've been told. When you change it, make sure to match the manufacturer specification, even if you measure it out before you put it in.
  11. lol the cbx's were by no means a highly valued bike...by account's i've read on the net most people wouldn't opt for the cbx over the cb250 rs of the time as it was more expensive and to my understanding not all that much better.....but in the same token it is the rarer bike and in time it might well fetch a pretty penny (only thing is i'm unsure if i'll have it for that long) - any mods i'd make would be easily removed & replaced with originals if i was to sell it as i do agree with you to some extent....

patb- i'm a kawasaki whore...but yes...it's expensive as crap i think more-so because it is a rare older model (could be wrong there - honda really could just be jewbags)
  12. sorry mate missed your post last night somehow, your right i think it was spenaroo talking about the same engine's running in some of the old (i presume here) trailbikes...and i do agree with you on the character side of things...it has piss all power but that little thing put's a massive grin on my face when i ride it...there's something about the note on that muffler n the vibrations when you hit about 8k rpm

as for the oil, yeah i know she takes 1.2 litre's of oil which is almost half of the zzr's capacity =/ but i will be measuring it so anyway just to be sure
  13. In the UK, the CBX250 was a (very rare) DOHC variant of the SOHC CB250RS. Given that there is a limit to what can be achieved with a single pot 250, regardless of how many camshafts it has, it's no surprise that it wasn't terribly popular.

If you want it to live, you must change the oil and deal with whatever filtration system it has at 2500 km intervals max. Preferably sooner.
  14. after some trawling through the interwebs i came across this...http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-Broch...otors_Manuals_Literature&vxp=mtr#ht_500wt_922
    others had mentioned this in the other thread previously but having it in black n white in a advertisement for the bike kind of cement's it

so now it's time to try and track down a xl250 manual as i've decided yes the simple things like fork seals can wait and that i'm better off taking on the bigger jobs...i did purchase this bike and realise afterwards that it'd be a absolutely great opportunity for me to get my hands dirty and learn how to break down a engine and start to understand what i'm doing as opposed to dumb luck trial and error

now with me looking down the barrel of loss of license thanks to a dui in just under a month's time i've decided instead of moping about the house for a few month's i'm going to use that time/money saved not riding all the time to get this cbx back on the road and into her former glory - i'm sure i'm going to swear alot and there will probably be a couple of time's where i find myself sitting down next to the bike with a look of hatred on my face just wanting to kick the bloody thing over...BUT THAT'S HALF THE FUN =D although i've just realised i'll have to clear some space in the garage (was previously converted into a spare room...so it's just full of furniture n crap...and i don't want to leave the bike in piece's under a carport.)

apologies for dribbling on abit there...i'd say my first act will be to drain the oil...and proceed to remove the tank and break down the engine to check on what condition the old girl is really in.
  15. lots of luck (y)
    • Like Like x 1
  16. ok .the first thing to do is make room where your going to work,a good work bench is a must ,then you need to make a motor stand that you can bolt your motor to ,and bolt that to your work bench ,.you will need this when you start to strip the motor.remember you need to be able to get to both sides of the motor,a good vice is a must also ,remember to take lots of photos as you start the work ,it will be so help full when it comes time to put it all back together...as you pull the motor apart it helps to clean and put the parts in plastic bags and label each bag ..
  17. that little honda will make a nice little cafe racer ,get rid of that fairing some clip on or ace bars ,home made custom single seat and a nice small tank . up swept muffler and small front and back guard , hide the battery and other electronic stuff in the duck tail behind the single seat , will have you on the way.if you need any tools for this project pm me i can help you out there , i live local to you and can drop anything you need off to you when you loose your licence ,,, i dont have much to do with jap bikes but i have restored many classic british motor bikes
  18. appreciate it tiprat but first and foremost i'll be restoring it to it's former glory and then deciding what i'll do from there...they are a rare bike (caus they're shit really lol but i love the lil thing) and as for tools....old fella is a harley rider - i'll just be nickin off with half his garage - i'm going to hit up a few wreckers over the next couple weeks to see if i track down some spare's - otherwise i'll be stuck getting the majority of crap imported (probably what im leaning towards regardless, can't really restore something with crappy second hand parts)
  19. Good afternoon,
    Last week my wife became the proud owner of a 1987 CBX250. Rare as this bike is in the down under, it was only imported into Canada for one year, and not to the USA at all.
    It looks almost identical to your model, except that the front signal lights are mounted on stalks.
    Since there is so little information available about these little orphans, I created a Facebook group in hopes of gathering more information, especially in tech areas.
    So far I think that less then 200 ever made it to our fine Dominion. Lord help me find parts.
    Ours is in good shape, for the age. Fired right up and only has a few paint issues. Now of course I'm worried about the valves...a new adventure for all of us.