Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

CBR600RR vs. Daytona 675

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by mr_roboto, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Well yeah I'm in the process of deciding on a big bike.. If I decide on supersport it seems like it will be down to these two.

The cbr has 112hp (according to wiki) and the daytona has 124hp according to their site. It also costs about 500 odd dollars less than the cbr. Just looking at hte CBR it looks a bit more comfy. The handle bars are higher and the seat's a bit lower. The daytona reminds me a bit of the R6, like your facing downhill..

So how do these two stack up, in your opinions?

What's triumph's build quality like compared to honda's?

Which one is more comfortable?

Which one is the better bike?

Does the triumph not rev out as much, being a 3 cyl, compared to the inline 4 of the honda?

2. Daytona, sets the best lap times and has won Masterbike two years in a row. Is comfort really a problem? A lot of people that get sore wrists aren't sitting on the bike properly.
  3. Definetely the Daytona, it's a beautiful bike to ride.
    But while you're thinking mid-sized, have a look at the GSXR-750. To me it makes perfect sense; the weight and size of the 600, but with that extra torque which makes it all the much easier to ride, particularly around town. The 600 needs to be worked a lot, you'll be amazed the difference the extra 150cc make.
  4. from memory prices (in Sydney) are:

daytona 675: $16.8k otd (dont think i have heard anyone able to negotiate it below $16k

600rr: $14.5k otd

cant go wrong with either bike really

ive had an 07 600rr for about a year and enjoyed it thoroughly

if i can find a decent 2nd hand 06 675 for $12k again (which ive seen before)
    i would get it as a track bike

oh and the 675 is a little higher in the seat.
  5. New 07 CBR600rr's can be had onroad for $13.7k
  6. melbourne is always cheaper for some reason
    you would only get an ex demo 07 here for $14k
  7. 'Here' = NSW?
  8. well various dealers around Sydney
  9. Should be able to grab a new 675 for $16K out the door. Can grab last year's '07 model CBR600s for ~$14K out the door while stocks last. '08 model CBR600's will cost more, even though there's no mechanical different between the '07 and '08 models. For some reason, the increased value of the Aussie dollar hasn't filtered through to Triumph bike sale prices yet - probably due to the smaller market share.

The CBR600 and the 675 are the two best bikes in the Supersport category ATM, but they do things in slightly different ways. The CBR is more like a street bike with a race-track focus. It's good in the sense that there's nothing wrong with it. There's nothing it does bad, and there are things that it does very well. The 675 is more like a race-bike that's been converted into street form, but it's 3-cyl engine's power delivery is unique and quite unlike anything the I4's offer. It's fairly hard edged and a bit stiff for bumpy public road use out of the crate. This can, of course, be tweaked out with suspension adjustments but for the average Joe who never touches his suspension settings, the CBR will appear to be the better compromise. This is generally what sways reviewers towards the CBR. Thing is, try to push the stock bikes along quickly, and it's the 675 that usually comes out on top, and that's where its focus lies as numerous high speed road and track tests have found.

In summary, you won't go wrong with either bike. If you're concerned about commuting, the CBR will be more comfortable but the engine will require more gearbox work. The 675's motor is supremely flexible. It'll happily pull along and accelerate from 40kph in 6th gear, that's how strong the 675's mid-range is. In 6th gear take-offs from 60kph, there aren't many bikes (even litre bikes) that would beat it to 100kph. After 100kph the litre+ bikes would own it in roll-ons, but the motor really is phenomenal for one-gear riding. The drawback to the 675 is that the under-seat exhaust will get hot in stop-start traffic on warm days, and in very slow traffic on a hot >35C day, you'll be thinking that a trip to Death Valley in summer would be a welcome cool change.

The CBR600 talks to the brain. It's captain sensible that'll do it all. The 675 talks to the soul. It's addictively intoxicating when in its element (aggressive sporting riding), but you'll have to live with a hot arse if you commute on it in warm weather in slow moving traffic.

Overall finish is roughly equal. I've heard people say the Hondas are finished better, and I've heard people say the other way around. As with any bike, if you don't look after it, it'll get shabby. Some Triumph dealers in Sydney appear to be cleaning the shipping protection wax coating off with a corrosive agent that is pitting the bare aluminium around the engine. All 675's with this reported issue have been tracked back to a single dealer in Sydney (to my knowledge).
  10. You're right yak, it is curious. Certainly the 750 feels significantly faster to me.

I can never quite understand these figures; according to them, the 600 is only 0.2 sec slower over the 1/4 mile compared to a Blackbird, yet you ride both and the difference is amazing. I guess the big difference is in torque, in that you can ride the 1100 (and the 750 to some extent) in a 'normal' fashion, but to get this performance from a 600 you need to wring its little neck out ....
  11. Thanks guys,

After reading all that the Daytona doesn't sound like what I'm after.

So it's either the CBR, or maybe the GSXR750. The gixxer just seems like a better option than the Daytona, its around the same price (according to suzuki site) and has a lot more power.

According to their site, it has 150 hp... As much as the early litre bikes.

How much are they going for on run out?

Im in perth so it might not be the same as VIC or NSW..

Also the cbr sounds like a good choice on run out sale prices... So Im not sure.
  12. If possible could you go into a little more detail? Please PM me if you don't wish to post a reply in public.
    I am interested as I just bought a Street Triple from a Sydney dealership.
  13. 150 hp at the crank. About 125hp at the rear wheel.

With the 600's, yes you have to work the gearbox more, but isn't that what sportsbike riding is all about. Hitting your favourite roads and actually having to ride the bike properly(not lazily) to get the best performance out of it. The 600's i've ridden have more than enough go for the road. Compared to the way I have to ride my zx2r to get any performance out of it, they're a piece of cake.
  14. Just remember that more power doesn't always mean a faster bike. The 125cc MotoGP bikes with 60rwhp will get around any common racetrack you care to name faster than a GSXR750. You'd be surprised at just how little every extra hp after 100rwhp counts. For 99.99% of riders, it's the rider's confidence in the bike that determines how fast they'll get from A to B, and not the amount of power that the bike is making.
  15. My understanding is that the street triples have been fine, 'cos the exposed engine metal is painted. It's just the 675's, which have bare metal (under the fairings) from which one particular dealer is resulting in pitting of the metal. It's not something that you can see easily, 'cos the fairings cover it, but a few people from Sydney have reported it now, and all the bikes were bought at the same dealership. No one else seems to have this issue.
  16. I appreciate the reply, thanks.
    Triumph should paint the Daytona engines just like they do the Street Triples, the extra protection can't hurt.
  17. Is it true that triumph bikes have oil problems which have led to some of them losing their engines?
  18. It is true that one bike magazine ran an 8 hour endurance race with an improperly serviced Daytona 675 and then never checked the oil levels once through the entire race, and the engine eventually ran dry and broke.

You can decide for yourself if the owner allowing a bike to run dry of oil due to improper servicing and failing to check oil levels at all, is the fault of the bike or the owner.

The practical experience has been that the modern engines (Hinckley factory Triumphs) have no more of an oil problem than any other bike.
  19. I suspect the engine is not painted for a reason. That being better heat dissipation. The street triple being naked allows a lot more air flow over the engine. The Daytona with all its fairings can probably do with all the cooling it can get.
    And don't think that painting aluminium will stop corrosion. You should see the mess some painted ally boats get into due to being painted. Breach the painted surface enough to allow moisture under the paint & you have no idea how much corrosion will result :) Myself personally -unpainted all the way :)