Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

CBR600RR ABS version

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by too-far, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Has anyone seen the recent news that Honda intend to release a CBR600RR ABS version? Apparently there will be two versions available in Australia, one with ABS, the other without. Obviously there will be some sort of price difference as well.

Mcnews.com.au Article

McNews Uk Brief Ride Impression

Interesting quote from McNews Uk Article

Waddya Reckon?
  2. I think it's... Well, it's a choice the rider gets to make.

I own an ABS bike myself, which was something I researched heavily and (obviously) made my own choice about.

The pedal and lever feel, on the Tiger at least, is exactly like the non-ABS bike. Same modulation, same feel, right until you begin to skid or begin to stoppie and then ABS begins to work. But otherwise the bike handles exactly the same (just 3kg heavier).

At the end of the day, most experiments have shown that a well-practiced human can out-brake a bike that's stopping under ABS control by a few feet on dry, perfect road.

But in the wet, particularly with any sort of surface irregularity, ABS works. 2/3 the stopping distance of a human, or better - and that's during controlled tests. Not halfway home on your commute, tired after work, vision obscured by the rain, when some ninja car jumps out in front of you.

You pays your money and makes your choice. I think it's good to see RR bikes begin to pick it up, for street use anyway. It's good to have the option.
  3. Hey Loz, I hope you're not gonna beat me up on the Musketeers ride for owning an ABS bike?! 8-[

As with every ABS thread prior to this, I agree with you in some respects. Driver aids are not an excuse to slack off with your own skills and shouldn't be treated as such.
  4. yes I'm a newbie, but how many riders are†well-practiced humans" especially under emergency braking situations? I am personally for all safety feature available. Did people go on about driver skill when ABS came out for cars?
  5. I guess its alright if it has an off switch for when we're hooning about or on the track.
  6. I guss I’m think from a road rider no crazy stuff point of view
  7. The problem comes about when people place blind faith in driver aids.

A lot of people appear to have the misconception that ABS, stability control, etc mean that they don't have to leave a safe braking distance anymore, don't have to worry about being smooth with controls or "driving to the conditions".

Hell, all of the car advertising on TV shows stability-control-equipped cars doing just that. Marvel as the new Subaru symmetrical AWD makes this car go around a drenched skidpan with ease! Be amazed as the new Camry is totally unphased by snow and ice! And if you do crash, it doesn't matter - they have airbags everywhere, and crumple zones, and...

There's a big difference between treating it as a "if the best of human ability isn't best enough" last-ditch emergency aid that you never want to use, and a "It's alright, my car has ABS, ESP, EBC, AWD, FTC, so I'll never have an accident no matter how I drive!" excuse not to learn how to drive.

Like the old addage goes, "Nobody would ever have accidents if there were explosives wired to the bumper bars and a steel spike sticking out of the steering wheel."
  9. opps sorry, don't forget i'm the newbie.

I am all for that cage drivers may think twice when they see that glimmer in their mirror

was from me not a quote.
    I'm even a newbie to theis forum thing.
  10. IMHO, ABS on bikes should be able to be switched off or not fitted to bikes that are outside LAMS. Try & do an emergency stop ( or for that matter just stop) on the dirt with ABS. My R1150GSA has switchable ABS, it remains in the Off position. My opinion also extends to CBS, I have converted several CBS back to conventional. Let's face it, if u ride a big bike and in particular, a Sports bike, u want to be in control of which brake u are applying and by how much, sometimes locking up the rear wheel can get u out of trouble. Dragging the back brake through a corner at 8/10th's with CBS is not a wise move.
    Of cause, if u ride a powerful sports bike, u would be proficient at braking with a conventional set up?!.

Tex & Bundy
  11. I have, actually. I tested my Tiger's ABS out on a dirt road with great trepidation, having read all the anti-ABS "I took my ABS BMW onto a gravel road and it spontaeously exploded" comments on other forums.

But uhh... it stopped. Quickly, in fact, for something rolling on sportsbike tyres. The bike only unlocked its wheels enough to let me maintain control (ie: not fall over)... I didn't encounter the "bike didn't apply brakes at all" problem some people describe.

I suppose "ABS ain't ABS" - the R1150GS was pretty much the first generation of ABS on motorbikes. The first generations of ABS in cars were terrible on loose surfaces too, but they're better now.

I agree that for "real" offroad riding it definitely needs to be switchable, tho'.
  12. Does ABS assist at all in preventing lowsides from snatching front brake/braking while leaned over?
  13. I've not read anything more than rumours about ABS allowing a rider to brake with impunity AND turn at the same time.

ABS is crude - it can't ride that ragged edge of traction with the wheel still turning smoothly like, say, the instructors at HART can. ABS detects a locked wheel, and unlocks it, modulating the brake pressure between lock/unlock. In my mind, as soon as you lock the front wheel with the bike leaned over, you're going down.

Unsurprisingly, I'm not willing to test it on the Tiger. ;)
  14. No matter if you like it or hate it, having the option is the best part.

Personally I'd have the ABS turned off most of the time and only switch it on for those particularaly shitful days with 1m visiability and wet slippery roads. I'd hope to never activate the ABS however.
  15. noooooooooo
    leave that shit for touring bikes even if there is an off button its crap your still paying for, more weight and more complicated shit u have to fix.
  16. Because touring bikes are the only ones that travel in less than perfect conditions?
  17. Nope, ABS won't save you there. When you brake while leaned over (taking a turn, I suppose!) you transfer weight to the front wheel and that's what causes the front tire to slip and you low side. It may prevent the wheel from locking, but won't prevent it from slipping.