Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

CBR600F3 & F4… what else should I be looking at?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by grue, Dec 20, 2008.

1. The bike would mainly be used for commuting to and from work, but I'd take a lot of rides for fun after work, and go for rides to the Great Ocean Road, the Spur and such on weekends.

Thus, I'd like something sporty but not something so hardcore I'd be uncomfortable on it after a few minutes, especially given my size (6'3", 105kg or so).

In order of importance, I guess I'm looking for:

Reliability
    Fun factor
    Comfort
    Handling
    Straight line performance. I don't need a 190mph top speed, but a 250 isn't going to cut it either (except for a 2T, but I don't want to daily-ride one of those again).

I prefer fully-faired stuff, but a semi-naked or naked bike might work as long as I like the looks. I'll freely admit I'm a bit of a wanker in that respect, it's gotta look good :LOL:

My budget is $4,500-6,000 depending. Ideally $5,000-5,500.

Right now my top contenders are the F3 and F4, but I'm not really sure what else to look for.

So, any suggestions?

2. At least on paper, the YZF600R seems to be a decent contender, any comments on these?

3. From reports I've seen they might be even better than the F3, but finding one at that price in good nick might be a chore.

Don't discount the ZX either, not sure about how commited the position is.

For what you've outlined, the F3 (or even better the F4) ticks all those boxes. A good F3 would be obtainable for about $5-$5.5k.

4. http://bikesales.com.au/as/search/s...6&previousResultPerPage=20&currentPage=1&x=65

That looks doable... hmm.

I've got leads on a few different F3s and F4s as well, but that one matches my gear :LOL:

5. the f4 is a big step up in technology from the f3

alloy frame and swingarm vs steel is a good start

completely new motor compared to the f2/f3
    more like the f4i just with carbies

an f4i tail and fairing swap can be done if you prefer the look also