Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

CBR600 F4 Steering Bearing Replacement

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by charlie_bird, Mar 16, 2008.

1. A quick question and hopefully and answer from those who may know..

I'm replacing the the steering stem bearings in my 1999 CBR600F4. I've purchased a tapered roller bearing kit from Allballs Racing. I've recently used a similar kit on a 99 R6 and had good results.

The original bearing races that press into the Honda steering stem are approx 3-4 mm in height and they press fit into a machined area of the stem that is the same height. Same situation top and bottom. (ie you only have to tap the old races 3-4 mm before they drop out)

The new tapered bearing races are 10-12 mm in height and when fully seated in the stem are only contacting the steering stem in the 3-4 mm machined area. Everything else lines up fine and it looks like it will all go back together ok. My concern is the approx 8mm of the outside wall of the bearing race that isn't touching the stem. Will that be a problem??

2. Pics would help. My brain not work good. Too hot.

:p

3. thanks MacManMike. I've just looked again, with the camera in my hand and now think I should be good to go.

4. mate had the same problem when i used aftermarket stem bearings on the VTR250, although they werent sticking out quiet as much, havent had a problem since (100kms ago). although the stem nut only is threaded 3/4 down the stem, im not too sure if this would cause un due long term stress on the nut?

5. Well alrighty then! :shock: