Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

CBR500 v Ninja650 comparison

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Nugdam, Feb 21, 2016.

1. I know these posts get done to death and I have been googling,youtubing everything I can. I stilll have a few questions though

I am 185cm tall and roughly around the 95kg mark. I have been riding my girlfriends GSXR 600 on "private roads" other then that I have just ridden small dirtbikes when I was younger. I am far from a skilled rider but know the basics.

I am looking at doing my Q ride test next month for my birthday. I am looking to purchase either a cbr500 or a ninja 650. I don't want to go anything smaller then those as 1, I am tallish so don't want to get too uncomfy 2, I think they would get boring pretty quickly once the lams year is over.

What I want out of a bike is to not pay more then $5500,6000 just incase its not for me and I want to sell down the track. The CBRs come into that bracket with the ninjas being 6-7500.

How have people found the cbrs/ninjas after there lams period is over? were you looking for a upgrade straight away or do you find there is plenty of go in the bike to keep you amused for longer? What is the power in this bike actually like? is there enough poke to keep up with other bikes that are not lams approved? Obviously top end is alot slower but for general turns and street riding.

Top end speed is not something I am really interested in I would rather something pokey down low/ good take off.

I don't want to ramble on too much as it already is a massive read. I guess what I am really asking is what will the bike perform like with a 100kg rider on it? I have sat on them both and they feel fine I just couldn't test ride being on my learners still. What are other peoples thoughts on the right choice?
  2. IMHO the ninja 650 is a better bike. When your Lams is over u can derestrict it to get more power. Can't go wrong. Once you get your license go and test one out.

3. Cheers mate, that's my other thoughts also. Once I can get more power out of it the option is there.

Hopefully get to test one soon. Exciting times.
  4. I've ridden both, owned the CBR and loved it as a lams bike, the owner of the 650 hated my bike and loved his. It's personal preference, the age old advice of go sit on it and if you can, test ride it has never been more fitting.

Sorry, not very helpful, but true!
  5. I'm taller than you (190vms) and find the CBR is quite a comfortable bike that has taught me lots. The 650 Ninja felt a little cramped for leg room as the pegs were slightly higher.

Depends what you're looking for.
    • Like Like x 1