Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

cbr250rr headlight problem

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Doeven09, Dec 15, 2009.

1. I recently picked up an mc22 cbr which as far as my mate and i could tell was in pretty good nick, i organised to do the RWC myself for a lower price, which may have been a mistake. I took it in today and my right headlight does not shine on low beams only, it's fine on high beams, parkers are also fine.
    I didn't get the manual with the bike so have been trying to figure this out by myself. As far as i can tell the headlights have been upgraded since they don't flicker as the bike starts and there's a bit of tape and rewiring back there.
    So i untaped all modified connections, and checked them. They all seem fine, but i noticed that the right headlight does flicker uniformly for less than a second when i go to turn it on, i found the connection which stops this from happening, then tested it with my ammeter, current continues to flow through what i assume is the right headlight even when it does not shine other than the flickering start up.
    Has anyone else experienced something like this with a cbr250? Is this just a dead bulb or something worse? ](*,) Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

2. It's worth noting the new headlights are HID bulbs, i don't really know how these work, which is the only reason i assume current could still flow with no glow.
  3. http://www.cbr250.com/cbr250/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50705
    Manual link.
    I'd suggest comparing the stock wiring to your own. The headlights on the CBR are well know for their dullness. Maybe a dodgy fix from the previous owner.
    If you still cant figure it out try searching on cbr250.com, these guys know their stuff and should sort you out pretty quickly.
  4. Do you have a standard filament globe you can use instead of the HID kit?, it could be a faulty ballast or globe...does the CBR use seperate globes for Hi and Low beam or the one globe to do both?
  5. it may have a delay, like on my mates, which is about 30 secs before they switch on, thus so that you start the bike without the lights sucking power
  6. Hmm, it's only one that doesn't turn on, and only on low beam, so i'm pretty sure it's nothing to do with the starting delay. Thanks for the link Gus man, i'm basically going to try pulling off the fairings (cbr forums ftw) and start swapping globes between the headlights, maybe pick up some filament globes instead of the HID's as bamm bamm suggested, see how that goes. And then try and make a bit of sense of the birds nest of wiring back there. Btw, my browser doesn't seem to like that link gus man, but the forums have been a great help already. Thanks all for the replies.
  7. The site has been down on/off over the last few days. All good now though so maybe try the link again. Link works in my browser. If not just do a search on the site and you should find it pretty easy, it's a sticky.
  8. Thanks everyone, problem completely fixed now, see here for details:
    As it all turned out the other guy had put a HID globe into one of the low beam sockets, so split the headlight into 2 separate globes for that, and attached a ballast to get the right voltage/current. The ballast died and i was just having trouble figuring what all the other junk in there was doing, ripped it all out now and have gone back to the 91 stock 55/60w h4's.
    Thanks again all for the help.
  9. good work, that spare H4 looks good in the hornet too thanks :D