Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

CBR250rr Fan Switch Modification

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' at netrider.net.au started by Toefa, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Just wanted to share my latest (very simple) modification with you all....

The CBR gets pretty hot whilst commuting and with summer just around the corner, thought it might be a good time to get the cooling system all fresh and ready to do battle with the 30+ temps.

First thing was a radiator flush, which was easy and took all of about 60 minutes including removal and re-fitting of fairings.

The most significant step was installing the manual fan switch.. I took off the left side fairing and air duct and went to work. Just above the radiator hose on the bottom of the radiator is the thermo switch which has an electrical spade type connector (male), i rigged up a switch that taps into that circuit (plus a grounding point) while keeping the original auto switch in place. I mounted a waterproof bullet switch, by drilling through the air duct - where the flap of plastic has the word FUSE and screwed it down, so i am able to flick the fan on or off with my left hand, even if neccessary, while riding.

So now with the ignition on, the fan will turn on when either the fan switch is on, or the thermo switch turns it on.

My ride to work today, the bike didnt get past halfway on the temp gauge, where on a normal heavy traffic day i can see it get right up to 3/4 and that is to be considered normal :shock:

I highly recommend this mod to other CBR250 owners, and if you are interested, there is a good write up by a dude called Eclipse on CBR250.com

:dance: :woot:

2. Thanks for the info mate. Im off for an Army trip to Sydney for the next 2 and a bit weeks, but was looking into doing this when I got back before summer hit up here. My best mate is an auto electrician, so parts will be cheaper than cheap...

Cheers
    Aaron

3. Good on you Stealthassassin!
    Such a small modification yet it's made such a big difference :grin:

4. Good tip,,,

I also notice the same thing on my bike the gauge would be running about 2/3 to 3/4 up the scale in normal-heavy traffic. If just cruising around or in open road she'll be about 1/3 in the scale.

I guess CBR's dont like running in the city/comutting much. They like the spur alot more....

5. good one Stealth...

I used to get paranoid with my bike temp going anywhere above half way on the scale... now I have a digital readout, hmm come to think of it, i better study up on the normal operating temps for my bike.