Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

CBR250RR - changing the coolant

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by fab, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Just bought the bike so I am doing all the maintenance odds and ends and next on the list is a change in coolant.

For the RR is it just the single drain bolt on the radiator? Or are there secondary drain bolts to drain coolant held within the engine.

Also, is motorcycle coolant the same as car coolant?

Thanks for your answers :grin:

2. Make damn sure you flush all the old coolant out before adding the new stuff because they can react with each other and rust out your radiator. It takes about a month to happen... I learnt that the hard way and had to replace the whole radiator... Best way I found was to stick the water hose in the radiator cap and let it flush out the drain hole for a couple of minutes.

I've used ordinary coolant before with no issues. I can't remember if there were any particular types (like oil) that I matched it to.
  3. You can generally use any coolant these days as long as it has glycol (someone correct me if i'm wrong)
    You used to have to get coolant to suit alloy engines/aluminium engines but being that alloy is the most commonplace these days I think all coolants at places like k-mart are suitable.

My bike had a mixture of two in it for a few weeks, when i drained it it didn't come out green - i think that's a bad thing

Don't mix coolants, drain it and flush it then refill.
  4. Thanks for the replies!

With the radiator removed is there anything else I can inspect/service/replace that would usually be hard to get to with the radiator in the way?

5. Yes - the spark plugs if they haven't been replaced for a while.