Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

CBR250RR Blinker issues

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by lextsy, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Hey all

I have a 1996 CBR250RR and this morning the kick stand didnt go down all the way and I got off the bike and it fell on top of me

Anyway besides the sore ass the bike took a bit of a fall but not to bad. On my way home however my blinkers stopped working.

I had no idea why so I took the fuse box side fairing off to investigate.

What i found is that coming from the fusebox side blinker is 3 wires. Orange, green and orange/white. While checking the other side i notice it only has 2 wires coming from the blinker.

Anyway I noticed the orange/white cord was disconnected so i decided to connect it up. All this managed to do was make my fuse box side blinker turn on completely but not blink.

When I attempt to blinker left, nothing turns on.
    When I blinker right the left blinker turns on
    When i turn off the blinker the left blinker turns on

When I say turns on i mean stays on constantly.

I have no idea why this is happening there is not many wires down there infact those are the only wires not wrapped up in a loom.

I have no idea if it related to me dropping the bike or something has blown/damaged

I checked the front bulbs and they seem fine.

my friend seems to think it could be the blinker relay and I think its short somewhere but i dont know where.

Does anyone have any advice?

Also who would be a good bike mechanic/auto elec to take this too around the chatswood/north sydney/ forestville area

thanks heaps for all your help.

2. That almost suggests that there has been trouble here before.

When the voltage supply to a blinker can is insufficient, it just won't heat up enough to blink. Same occurs if the earth for the 12 v supply to the can is not good enough. The can is usually earthed via the blinker globes themselves. In other words, if the connections themselves are not good, your system can stop blinking.

The simplest blinker system has a power lead "in" and the "out" is then switched to the right or left side globes via the handlebar switch. I would think that without a wiring diagram you have little chance of solving the problem.

Mind you, some people just play with wires until it works, or the bike catches fire. I need a manual/wiring diagram, though. ;-)

All the best

Trevor G

3. Sounds to me like they're on the blink

groan

4. I think the third wire you connected is to make the blinkers running lights.
    I know in the States thats the situation, indicators have three wires.

5. Check the grounds mate, had a similar problem with mine after i picked it up, the grounds had come loose, once tightened it has continued to work no worries :grin: