Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

CBR250RR - 1990 - MC22 Headlight Bulb Replacement

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by BlackSparrow, Aug 31, 2016.

1. I have the above bike.

Headlights are really dim (high beam still works) so im looking at replacing the bulbs. I have done some googling and the results are mixed - it seems that the specs are for a H4 60/55W but it does state that the AUS/UK version needs a h4R 60/35W and some sites bang on about the 55W melting the swtich gear.

Im confused as most of these were jap import (mine is) and therefore should i just use the 55W bulb - but i dont want to melt the switch.

Has anyone had experience replacing the bulbs? I tried ot take them out but i felt like i was going to break it. Can anyone confirm which bulb i actually need?

Cheers in advance!
  2. I had an 89 cbr250r and replaced the headlight bulb with a 55W bulb and had no problems, I only replaced one so I had one dim light and one bright light.
  3. I'm an advocate of HID's in bikes. While not everyone loves them I'd argue that the light output is much better than a standard globe and also draws less power. The first day I pit HID's in my K2 Gixxer was the last day I'd ever use regular globes again. Your headlight assembly may need a good clean to get the best results as the bike is a bit older but, considering how cheap the kits are from Jaycar, I'd recommend trying them and if you don't like them, you can always sell them again or put them in a car. Being H4's they are pretty common to offload if you don't like them...

But that's my suggestion