Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

CBR250R + GPS Power

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Ub3rS0ldat, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Good Evening,

I've been looking around and i'm having trouble finding a couple of answers for hooking up a GPS (Zumo 350LM) into the wiring of my CBR250R (2012 model)

At the moment I have it directly wired into the battery terminals which works, however I'm concerned that it will drain the battery as it's always on.

I'd like to hook it up to one of the lights so that it turns off when I turn the bike off but i'm not really sure where to start - I was about to start pulling things off the bike but I thought better of it.

So, anybody out there got some pictures or has done it before on this bike or even with this GPS?

The power line for the GPS has a fuse built-in.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/prod107979.html

2. To save myself splicing wires I just ran my 12v wires to the fuse box and wedged it in with the headlight fuse. Quick and easy!

3. I actually considered that but wasn't sure if jamming the wires in with a fuse was a good idea. That and I don't know which is the right fuse.

4. It was only a temp. fix at first, but 20thou km's later I haven't found a need for a cleaner solution (fuse splitter). The fuse map/guide is on the back of the fuse lid.

5. Well I did as you suggested and it's working fine. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

6. This is what I did for my CBR250R (Which is the same as Masakali's suggestion)

Just remove the seat (2screws under the pillion seat) and connect one wire to the battery and the other to the headlight fuse. Works like a charm. Just check the manual to confirm which fuse is the right one - although I think any should do.

GPS only charges when the ignition switch is turned on.

7. Just remember that you have reduced the capacity of the headlight circuit. The fuse is rated at 15 amp, the headlights with low and high beam on at around 10 amp. The GPS about 1.5 amp, so a total of 11.5amp. Still a margin of 3.5 amps so generally OK.

But, the fuse figures are set for a temperature of 25degrees, at 40 degrees you need to derate the fuse to about 70% of its rating. In this case 10.5 amps.

This is an technical discussion only as it is unlikely you would be running for sustained periods at night with high beam and above 40 degrees. Keep a spare headlight fuse taped under the seat is my advice.

The neater way in future is to use the inline fuse that was supplied and connect to the battery and through the switch circuit of a relay to the GPS. The coil of the relay connect to the headlight circuit. When the headlight comes on the relay closes and supplies power through to the GPS.

Eastern Beaver sell THIS 3 circuit option or THIS more full function solution.

Good on you guys for giving it a go, I am not being critical just pointing out a couple of gotchas :)

8. I did have some second guesses about just connecting it to a fuse - looks like they were founded. Luckily there is already a spare fuse provided :D

All that relay does is take a really low amperage from a circuit to recognize that it's been switched on right? Surely it wouldn't be that difficult to jig up my own.

9. Yep simple enough, Automotive relays are cheap and have a standard terminal numbering system.

2009-01-18_204946_ASD_Relay.