Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

CBR250 Vs FZR250

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by dup@, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Hi everyone,

I'm planning on getting my learners (in VIC) in a couple of weeks and am looking for my first bike.

I had the following in mind: CBR250, FZR250, GPX250 and ZZR250.

Having spoken to a few people i've since been told that the kawasaki's lack power compared to the honda's/yamaha's.

Also that the yamaha's have problematic carbies and should also be avoided.

Seems as though no one has anything bad to say about the honda's though....

I'm leaning towards the FZR250/CBR250 around the 1990 models and have a budget of around 3-4k for the bike with another grand for some riding gear.

What are the reccomendations?!

2. There is only one option out of all of them and thats the honda CBR250RR.

Dont ask why, trust us :)
  3. For the 3-4 grand mark the fzr250's are likely to be closer to your budget - they tend to go much cheaper than the cbr's for an equivelant bike (year, k's, condition). So you are likely to get a bike with lower k's if you go for the fzr. But then again cbr's will also have a higher resale price, so the net depreciation will be about the same. Be aware that they stopped manufacturing fzr's in the early 90's ('94 actually) so if you see a '2000 fzr' they are talking compliance (import) date, not manufacture date. Also since they are grey import insurance may be another issue (phone insurance companies first to see if it will be) - some cbr's are also grey imports (not sure which models).

The gpx and zzr are lower in power, but the drop is only from 45->40 (zzr) and 36 (gpx) hp I wouldn't consider it significant - the rider is more the limiting factor.

The carbies on the fzr250 are not an overly common problem if the bike is generally looked after and maintained (as with any bike). I rode mine for 35 000 k's while learning and then throughout my restrictions and beyond, and had no carbie troubles. The main issue that I found with my fzr was the lack of resources on it and lack of info about replacement parts - but that is slowly changing with a few forums dedicated to the fzr250. There are no manuals for the fzr250.

General rule of thumb - ride them all and see which one suits you best. They all differ in comfort and feel, and some people prefer a certain bike over others with this.
  4. i know cbr250r's have single front disc, but what else is different compared to the RR's?
    or should i start another post insted of stealing this one?
  5. RR v R
    - The RR has a more extreme riding position and as a result can put more weight on your wrists and be less comfortable on longer riders

- RR can be differentiated by a square tail fairing while the R has a sloped narrow tail fairing

- The R is a grey import and as a result is more expensive for insurance if you can get insurance for it at all on your L plates.

- The RR is supposed to have and an ever so slight advantage on power but my mate (on his RR) over me (on my R), would only be slightly in front when we both hit the jump from the lights.
  6. thanks for that

(message too short, ring ring ring ring)
  7. Matt they import cbr250 RR's as well as just the R.. check out the motorcycle trader..

Just like boz said try them all and find the bike you're happy with :)
  8. You might want to consider the kawasaki's, both are often lower priced compared to the CBR and have a reputation for being reliable. I was considering going for a CBR a few months ago but opted for a GPX cos a) It was 3 grand including 12 months reg (and this is from a dealer where it's been fully serviced with new tyres) and b) it's not covered in expensive plastics so in the event that I drop it in my first year of riding (more likely than not) I won't be heart broken and out of pocket.

At the end of the day I guess it depends on how soon you want to upgrade, personally I wanted the extra 1500-2000 required for a cbr to be put towards a bigger bike as soon as I'm off restriction.

Lisa :twisted:
  10. Bang for buck, id say go the FZR (get a 3LN-3 model if you can...).
    I've had mine for a few months or so now and i have not even had the slightest problem until the other day with a really shite batch of petrol. Mine goes very nicely and has a fair few k's on it. Don't be overly concerned by the k's on the tacho as most / all have been wound. That supposed 18-25k km's.... sif thats real for most '90-'92 bikes from Japan.

If you've got the extra dosh (and i do mean EXTRA) then go the CBR's... their build quality seems to be a little higher than that of the FZR's. But hey, ride them and go with the love. :wink:
  11. true but Honda never offically released the CBR250R in Australia but they did for the CBR250RR. Apparently you can tell which CBR250RR is a grey import by the serial number (or something along those lines) but the insurance companies usually treat it as an offically imported model where as the CBR250R is automatically a grey import.
  12. Thanks for all the input everyone!

Went to a dealer today to check them all out, have a sit etc...

Looks like it's going to be an FZR250, while the CBR is a nicer bike, they all seem to be more expensive and as people have said, a 250 is only for the time until you can get the bike you REALLY want.

This was my only real concern - maintenance. My dad current rides a BMW1200RS and does all the maintenance himself, so he'd be happy to help me out - only i'd need to get my hands on the service manuals or associated info - any ideas or links?!
  13. Congrats...

Now all you have to do is 'Fighter it...
  14. Should have gone KAWA!!!

Well, atleast he didn't get a Honda or AN ACROSS Bwahaha :D
  15. Yep go to www.fzr250.com Oz site these guys know everything :)
    I have a Fzr250, and it's a great little bike. As long as i don't let it sit for weeks without starting it it's great. If it sits he needs encouragement, otherwise first pop and no choke!!
    I got told by a mechanic who does a lot of work on them (he fixed mine when i had a prob) that make sure you warm them up at about 3-4grand when they're cold in an upright position because of where the oil pickup is :)

P.S. I tried to be fair the other day and i sat on an across, you guys got buns of steel??? seat was like a rock..
  16. I have sat on Groberts seat before and it was hard as a rock, whereas mine is softer. It just depends on the individual bike. I have never had a problem on mine and neither has any pillion :)
  17. 15 posts on this topic and no mention of the Across...Shame on the Across community for letting it go this long. In all seriousness it is a great learner bike and will see you through restrictions without any major drama's. These will be in your budget and preferable over the CBR's for insurance costs. Make sure you are comfortable on the bike, it meets your needs and is mechanically sound as a priority. How a bike looks is really only a factor when selling it. All the 250's mentioned so far are pretty capable machines. Happy hunting.
  18. btw, all 250's pretty much lack power relatively speaking. If you have the skills you will be quicker through the corners (so I'm led to believe anyway..)
  19. Being a FZR owner, I certainly have not had any problems. Comfortable seat too. Quite zippy up the top end and has been ever reliable. :)