Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

CBR125R - Thoughts from a 'heavier' bloke....

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Tubby, Jul 14, 2007.

1. Hi, I have read a lot of different opinions about this bike so I thought I would give it a go myself.

Let me describe myself first. I am almost exactly 6' and weigh 105kg. I had absolutly no comfort issues sitting on this bike.

My criteria is that I needed a small bike to zip to the city and back each day for work. I have a 24km trip each way, consiting of 4km of 100km/h highway, about 5km of 70km/h then the rest at 60km/h.

As soon as I got on the bike and took off, I knew immeadiatly that I was on a small engined bike, which really didn't faze me as I had no expectations about being able to do amazing things on this commuter.

First, second and third gear at low speeds (up to 60km/h) were fun. When I took a 70km/h stretch, it wasn't too bad. Infact, it was kinda fun being on such a small bike hooting down the road.

Being light and small, I had no problems whipping this thing around the streets. But then came the clincher. I had to see how this thing performed on the highway.

As I rode down the on-ramp, 2nd, 3rd and 5th gears were no problems at all, getting me up to 5th and cruising the last part of the on-ramp at 90km/h without a drama.

When I merged and stretched 5th out into 6th, it was a struggle getting this baby to 100km/h. When I did get it there, keeping it there was a problem. Every cross wind would throw me back 5km/h or so. Then it would take a while for it to work its way back up to speed.

Essentially for my weight, I had this thing sitting in 6th gear at 100km/h with nothing left in the throttle. While the bike felt fairly safe at that speed (as safe as a small bike could be), it had nothing if I needed to zip out and overtake.

So basically, if I had no highway on my commute, then I would have jumped at this bike, but alas, I will be giving it a miss on this simple matter.

I am sure if you were smaller (ie under about 80kg) then this prolly wouldnt be as much of a bother.

There you have it...

2. any of the small bikes has not much in the throttle at 100k in top gear

overtaking on a small bike is always something that takes good planning and a change down of a few gears to excecute

and lets face it you have 4k's at 100k , which will be just pick a lane and stick with it till the exit ramp

most of it is around town , if it works well there , then would stick with it , sounds like a perfect commuter and would be something i would look at if i needed a bike to commute

good review though :)
  3. As long as you are not wanting to do a couple of hundred km's with it in a straight line then you'll be right.
    As l9ng as you didn't get bored with city commuting and then decided to spend every weekend up the spurs etc, then a 125 will be fine.
  4. Excellent review :)

So what does your bike hunt now lead you towards?
  5. Probably would have cruised better in 5th, dependent on it having the revs to do it.

Regards, Andrew.
  6. yeah i'd say the same thing as typhoon, depending how many revs it had left in 5th, i would leave it in 5th to do the 100, as the revs will be up and the motor won't be labouring agaisnt the wind

but then again i'm roughl an inch taller then yourself and a little bit lighter but i had a sit on one at the local dealer, and thought that the bike didn't offer much in the way of wind protect, with no chance of a aftermarket srceen, so not much point in the fairing, probably would be better off with a cbf250 still a single but a little more power and still arther economical
  7. Not surprising. And of course if you'd been out on a day with a particularly strong headwind it would have been even worse, throw in a couple of steep hills as well and you might be better off getting off and pushing it ;).
    I agree that it might do better in 5th - but then having to hold the bike at or near peak rpm for long periods of time every single day is hardly going to be kind to the engine. Worrying thing is that learners might buy something like this just to "get through restrictions" - then jump straight on a 600 or 1000ccc supersport. Going to be one hell of a steep learning curve if they do.
  8. Funny you should ask that.

All being said and done, my hunt has led me to a 2000 Aussie Sold CBR250RR with 15000km's. This bike is in excellent condition as it has been owned since bought from Honda in 2000 by a couple of ladies I know who have maticulously looked after it. I had my mechanic take a look at it and he has no problems with it at all.

All going well with my bank, I hopefully should have the bike by the end of the week.

9. Id suggest this will hit home with the 17 year old market...get a bike instead of a car. Its a notion, thats now affordable for them, and smart. Lets face it, 4-6 grand puts u in VL territory. This also gives scooter lovers, a less...scary and risk free way of learning to ride/make a switch.

I think its a great idea, i also think its a great little bike by the sounds of it.

I think when you look at a bike like this, and you look at the target audience...the aim of the bike essentially. Its a good bike, filling a much needed hole in the market. A reliable, cheap and most importantly brand new motorbike for learners, smaller people(i tried not to say women, but thats what i meant) and people keen to do some city riding, and keep the "weapon" at home nice and safe. The options for a new bike are limited in this market, and for alot of people its a 15 year old cbr250rr or hyosung gt250r/kawasaki zzr in the new realm. There all twice as expensive, and the brand name of honda for mine, is a big winning point.

Lets face it, this is a fantastic learner bike, for a small person, or even a large one, based on the fact that, if you drop it, you can pick it up, and...most importantly...you can afford to.
  10. lol who pays 4-6 grand for a VL ommonwhore
  11. But it's a fully sik Calais turbo moit! :LOL:

Regards, Andrew.
  12. lol if i could answer that question, i might be bogan enough to own one lowered vl turbo with leds, fake boost gauges and some fluffy dice.
  13. sounds like a great bike if you want a new cheap bike and have modest speed needs.

Buying your learner bike second hand makes way more sense to me, but some people must like to buy new, or the rest of us couldn't buy our cheaper second hand machines, right?
  14. True kinda about second hand bikes, but considering none of them come with any form of warranty, and new bikes are pretty cheap these days, at the price of the current range of new bikes, I reckon you'd be mad as a learner not to if you can. I mean, most second hand GPX's I saw were all $5k....where a new one has a list price of $5990....Economic sence tells me to spend the extra $$ if you can and squeeze the new one into your budget.

As a learner, then having a nice warranty on a bike that should effectively have nothing wrong with it is a fairly reasonable proposal in my opinion....

Anyways, back on topic....

FOr the price, this is a good little bike from my experience with it, however just didnt have what I needed at the highway speeds...hence why I chose not to buy it.

Instead, I bought a CBR250RR and it is everything I need....

15. Went to HART today for the first day of my learner course. Saw the CBR125R for the first time...looks nice, doesn't seem too small though does look a bit narrow :)
  16. You'll also save money on tyres, you'll be able to buy bicycle tyres as they should be about the same size :LOL: :LOL: