Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

CBR1000RR vs R1 test ride.

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by lockie, May 20, 2012.

1. Had the opportunity to test ride both of the '12 models today, courtesy of a test ride day put on by the local dealer. First time on a thou', coming from my Street Triple R.

Both bikes were a lot easier to ride than I was expecting. Both had light clutches, however the engagement was a little nicer on the CBR (bit of a longer feeling engagement on the R1).

CBR felt a little more comfortable at 100, with the R1 feeling like it aimed a lot more wind at my head off the fairing (I'm not short, 6'3"). The R1's seat felt a little wider, but there didn't seem to be a massive difference in comfort apart from that.

The first thing that I did notice when I sat on the R1 was the heat coming from the exhaust - definitely wouldn't be enjoyable in summer (especially a Queensland summer) however I'm used to a bit of heat from the triple's exhaust.

Both bikes were quick - bit hard to really test that out with unmarked cars prowling and a guided test ride with 20 other bikes, but there was plenty of poke. The CBR felt like it had a little more roll on power cruising at 100 in 4th/5th. Riding the R1, it felt much happier in 4th at 100 than in 5th or 6th.

The R1 seemed to be a little bit less smooth on the road than the CBR in soaking up bumps, but again there wasn't a massive difference.

The brakes on the CBR, for what I saw of them, felt pretty awesome. Plenty of stopping power, plenty of feel in the lever. The R1's lever felt a bit stiff comparatively.

Noise? The R1 wins hands down here. It truly sounds like it wants to start a fight, with anything, anywhere. Listening to the bike take off with someone else on it didn't seem like much, but the second you're on it, it takes on a new character. Couldn't get enough of the sound/feel of that motor. Great cracking sound from the exhaust when you gave it a bit, too. The CBR sounded, well a bit boring in comparison. Had a nice note sneak in as the RPM rose, but nowhere in the same league.

So which would I get? I don't know. The CBR seemed like the better bike, if I go with my brain, but the sound/feel of that R1 makes me want to do naughty things. Tough choice.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. TBH most of the time I prefer riding Irena's Street Triple R to a sportsbike. Maybe I'm getting old :)
  3. Haha its understandable - the spread of torque on the triple makes it damn easy to ride.
  4. Thanks for this write up, am looking at purchasing the CBR later on in the year and looking for all reviews.
  5. Nice writeup. I rode both a CBR1000RR as part of my test riding decisions, and I agree with most of your points - can't remember much about the CBR's seat / exhaust heat though.

The R1 sure does like to hit 105 degrees when stopped in traffic, even in winter. Then the thermo fan kicks on and blows it up the forks right on to you... less than desirable. But then you're away again, hearing that wonderful roar. Wouldn't swap it, personally.
  6. Just outa interest, which bits do you not agree with? Curious to know what its like to live with too - do you use it much as a daily or weekend toy?
  7. Great write up lockie.

Any plans to compare these two against the gixxer 1000 out of curiosity?
  8. At the moment, not really - the gixxer isn't really on my radar at the moment, not a massive fan of the looks of it. That said, if I get the chance for a test ride at the dealer, then I guess it would be wrong of me to say no...
  9. Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear enough, the parts I don't explicitly agree with are the parts that I don't recall about - I can't agree or disagree with them if I can't remember my own opinion. If it wasn't memorable to me then it probably didn't stand out to me, ie: seat, exhaust heat. They're both definitely great bikes.

I primarily use the R1 as a weekend toy, and I take it to work instead of the cage maybe once or twice a week. As a "daily" it's not exactly practical, peak hour traffic means lots of clutch work and not a whole lot of gear changes. The bike gets pretty hot in these conditions, most notably off the radiator (for me at least, Akraprovic's may be different from stock in regards to heat dissipation - gf reports hot arse though, and I agree 8-[ ). Honestly I am toying with the idea of ditching the cage in favour of a 250/400 for daily commuting, and weekending on the R1. Hmmm...

Even in commuting though, I still get off the bike with a big stupid grin on my face. So much so that co-workers have mentioned it. A little heat I can deal with, if you let go of the handle bars and sit up straight on the bike you don't feel it blowing directly on you.

I don't think I can add anything of value to the "using the R1 as a weekend toy" concept - it's sure as hell a lot of fun, but you do have to be careful on public roads as it does yearn to go faster. Something about the way it feels, it just wants to move higher up in the rev range. I think you felt the same when you said:

I don't recall this about the CBR1000RR, but it was probably much the same.

If you're in the market for a thousand (or any bike, really) you should ride everything in it's category. You may have your eyes set on a CBR or whatever, but if you ride everything then you know what you're not missing out on, so to speak. Test rides are free, and if you're buying from a dealership they should be prepared to at least stick you on a few different bikes "so you know you are going to be happy with your purchase". It's no real skin off their backs, and they make a sale at the end of the day, everyone wins. But I do agree with you on this - I think the front looks terrible. I don't like the cyclops look, but that's my opinion. The GSXR1000 was certainly a comfortable, less aggressive bike (for a thou', at any rate).

Hope this helps.
  10. cheers for that, sure does.

Just out of interest (and going by your avatar) do you have the matte black/grey paint? How does that go with cleaning, anything you have to be careful around/avoid?
  11. Yep, 2010 matte black with gold trim. Well, some parts of the bike are your typical metallic paint which can be washed normally, ie: tail, top of air intakes, swingarm etc. Obviously the side fairings and nose are all matte, as is the tank cover.

I generally wash the matte bits with a separate, soft sponge, being careful not to scratch it with any bits of dirt or bugs. Most wash soaps are okay, so long as they don't wax or polish as well - matte is a "rough" paint, so polishing makes it smooth (shinier) again. You can buy wash liquids and waxes explicitly designed for matte paint.

Really, it's not like it's a massive amount of effort to look after, if she's your baby you'll be washing her every other day anyway ;)