Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

CBR1000RR . My speedo stopped!

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by cbr1000_racing, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Hey all

Just back from ride with Rob_ and Lisa, thanks guys, awsome day!

After leaving Lisa, my speedo stopped working full stop. All other lights, tacho etc are working fine except trip meter and odometer ( good thing there I guess ). The speedo is on, but just reading 0.

Does anyone have any ideas of what this could be and how to fix?

Was having probs earlier in the day with it reading really low and then high, but now nothing.

2. The easiest thing to do would be to take it to honda under warranty. This would be advantageous maybe later down the track if it stuffs up again.

It could just be a loose connection in the back of the speedo. Have alook at the sender unit if it's a magnetic pickup. Does it have a fuse for the speedo?
  3. Get a GPS asap and use that as your speedo. Get the factory unit fixed when you want to sell the bike. Instant low-k's bike! The money you get back on resale will pay for the GPS unit AND the repairs.
  4. good thinking..thanks..any tips on where to get GPS from?
  5. Done that already, the mechanic did whatever he did to check...no luck, but need wheels to get to work and back, so have to wait about 3 weeks until a loan bike comes up
  6. Johnny Appleseed do GPS plus bike mounts. Google 'em - st. kilda road.
  7. excellent...thx Loz
  8. Definately get it done under warranty. you don't want to know what those clusters cost. Also if you were saying that it was being random berfore hand this is good reason to suspect a VSS. Is you HESD working ok?

Make sure you get is checked by a genuine honda mechanic. That should be able to diagnose it more accurately and if they are wrong, your not likely out of pocket.
  9. All the pre check lights happen when i on the ignition, HESD, FI, red warning etc..even the speedo does its thing...what is VSS?
  10. sounds like the sensor has died. Just get a speedo healer. :grin:
  11. VSS= Vehicle Speed Sensor.
  12. Or in this case (of OP)

Very Shit Speedo :grin: