Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

CBR1000 to MV Agusta Brutale 1090?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Nucleotide, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Hi,

I've currently got a 2012 model CBR1000RR and looking to sell/trade it in on something a little more upright.

While I love the blade, it's certainly not something I could do a day trip on - at least not comfortably - so I want something where I'm sitting a little more upright. From what I've heard, the Brutale has a pretty good seated position.

After a bit of research, I'm leaning towards to the Brutale 1090 (http://www.bikesales.com.au/dealer/AG-AD-411818).

The 2014 Z1000 is meant to be out but my local dealer doesn't have any. That said, I still think I'd go with the Brutale regardless.

Although I've read and watched a few YouTube reviews and overall, all reviews seem pretty good, I'm interested to know if I should be aware of anything inparticular relating to the Brutale?

Are they a good, solid bike overall, any known issues with them, etc?

I've only ever been a Honda man so I'm moving into uncharted territory.

Any advice, tips, suggestions - feel free to throw them all out there. If it's a crap bike and I shouldn't go there, please tell me.

Thanks a lot. :)
  2. @Justin Stacks has the 910 he might be able to give you a better idea about them.

Cheers Jeremy
  3. ..... and Chairman (who makes rare forays onto the board, but probably lurks still) has one, I recollect.
    For me, if money wasn't an object, the choice between an Italian thoroughbred and a green UJM would be a no-brainer!
  4. Ride one first...you probably like the CBR because it just works, it's reliable, easy to ride, cheap to service. An MV is going to be more demanding of the rider, the suspension will be harsh for road use, servicing is expensive and reliability is questionable. Choose carefully grasshopper:)
  5. I haven't ridden the CBR, but i test rode the 1090RR late last year and i loved it. excellent power, smooth, like an italian bouncer in a tux.

don't know about long term ownership though, but you'll love it when you ride it.
  6. I don't own a Brute but was seriously considering the 1090RR, so used to lurk around the MV Agusta forums quite a bit reading first hand owners' impressions and such. I can tell you now if you're a Honda man, as you've stated, you'll be disappointed. I'm the same and for me things like head light lenses falling off on new bikes and radiator coolant overflowing due to heating issues (to name a few among a host of other electrical issues) was just too much of a hassle. That and the lack of proper aftersales support (extended delays in warranty claims processing as I've come to know from different accounts) put me off the deal.

Again, this is all relevant if you're a Honda man, if you think you can look past these issues (and others) and live with the bike for what it is, you'll have one very cool bike! But I'd advise against it if it's going to be your only mode of transport.

I'd also check the MV forum for insights into the ownership experience of one.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Thanks a lot for this information. You've basically echoed that of a few other people I've spoken to as well. All the negative feedback is really starting to put me off the MV - as sexy as it looks, I'd rather something a little more bulletproof... like the Honda.

The bike, although not my only form of transport, is my primary form. The last thing I want is to be constantly repairing or dealing with issues. I just want to get on it and ride it without the fear of something breaking or not working - which by the sounds of it could be an issue.

I went into the local Kawasaki/Honda dealer today who had a couple of 2013 Z1000's going for around $15,500. One was a demo so he said he could definitely do a better price on that if I wanted it. The 2014 model was out on a demo so I didn't even get to see it in the flesh. I'm heading back next weekend and 'hopefully' they will have it available for viewing. In any case, I'll be taking the 2013 Z1000 for a test ride so it will be good to see what it feels like.

I'm yet to really hear anything bad about the Z1000. They appear to be basically on par with the Honda when it comes to reliability so although I was aiming for the MV, I think I may end up giving it a miss. There is also no local MV dealer so I'd have to travel at least 2 hours to even see one in person.

From what he was saying, my 2012 blade, just over 4000k's on it, original tyres with plenty of rubber left, black, ABS, excellent overall condition - apparently around $11-12k trade-in. I've thought about trying to sell it privately and maybe getting a little more out of it but I'm not sure I want to deal with the tyre kickers.
  8. If I were you I'd then steer clear of the MV and most likely settle for the Z1000, the new ones look absolutely fantastic with that LED headlight and swooping stance!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. My boyfriend rides an MV 1090RR.
    Prior to this, he's owned a Ninja 250, Honda CB1300, and Honda VFR 800.
    He's also ridden a number of other bikes including my Honda Hornet 600, and my dad's CBR1000RR and Triumph Speed Triple.

He says the MV is without a doubt the best bike he's ever ridden. Sit one way on it, and you're in a comfortable cruising position suitable for city riding. Sit slightly differently and it changes the angle of your arms and it turns in to a fast twisty corner hooligan machine that wheelies.

He finds the electronics are tricky to get used to, but once you master it, it's a case of 'find a setup you like and just adjust traction control when it's raining'.

It's only 10kgs heavier than my Hornet...and a shitload more powerful.

We did a bike swap a few weeks back and I found it really easy to adjust to.

He's very happy to be back on a naked bike, and has said he'll never buy anything else now.

Anything else you need to know, let me know!
  10. Why not try the Benelli TNT range? 899,1130, or the R160. It is the most underestimated Italian built bike, but is up to par with the other competitors. better priced than a Duc, MV, Aprilia. Not expensive to maintain, and very good dealer support, (well I can say that in Melb). All you need in a super naked bike is there. Ive tried out the brutale 1090r it is great too, but it did not just get my expectations and attention.

Above all the things I liked about owning a Benelli is the attention. Wherever I go, park it with other bikes, it will definitely get most of the attention. Just amazing.

Best thing is to try all of the possible candidates, for no matter what, you wont regret whatever choice you make. Try not getting your first impression out of the forums.

Try having a look at them.

11. Just buy a new ktm superduke r. Winning! Lol
  12. Benelli is Chinese owned and built, just a use of a known name to market Chinese junk
  13. The ones imported into Australia are built in Italy
  14. Do your research
  15. From what I can find the larger bikes are assembled in Italy, smaller models and scooters in China.

No idea where the parts are from but suspect China. They also have a Brazilian factory.

You could ask Honda why they aren't trying the CB1000R in our market, it would seem to meet your needs.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. The 899 is wholly Chinese assembled, it was commented on in a recent review in AMCN.
  17. Mate - just noticed this thread this morning or I would have replied sooner.

The Brutale is an amazing bike and if you're taking a look at the 1090, that will be a serious weapon!

However, that being said and considering you are moving from a Honda, there MAY be some additional issues, but it's not a definite.

Considering it's an Italian bike, servicing and maintenance will probably cost a bit more, but that just comes with the territory of owning an Italian bike in my opinion.

I don't commute with my Brutale, and not sure if I'd want to. The bike is meant to be ridden hard, not to go 50 to 60km's p/ hr in traffic. My Brutale gets hot pretty quickly and the heat that emanates from the exhaust is ridiculous!

My Brute is thirsty as hell! 19 litre tank and it's good for 200 km's city riding before the light comes on which would indicate 4 litres left, so you're only getting 250km max. Again, this thing needs to be ridden hard to be happy, and you'll get better fuel mileage out in the open road.

Good low down, linear power which while is usually good for city riding, but with a 1090 will actually be wasted. I'm not sure if you need to jump on highways to get to work, but if it's just city riding, it's almost too much power as you'll only need 1st and 2nd gear.

Also, I find my bike to be quite heavy at 184kg dry. However, I'm also short so it's just a pain to try to manoeuvre sometimes when I try to park.

However, if you want a fast comfy bike for the hills and twisties, the Brutale is orgasmic! It just begs to be ridden harder and harder and keeps going and going. I've also taken it on the track and is every bit as fun as any pure sports bike .

When you're not riding her, you have pure p0rn on wheels that you get to admire. Definitely sexier than any other bike on the street. You'll get lots of questions about her and a lot of people stop and stare. Coming from a Honda, this may be a lot of attention that you're not use to having, so this could be a good or bad thing :p

I personally love the bike and would not be as happy with anything else. There are a few issues, but I think it's luck of the draw just as with any other bike. I haven't had the electrical issues, or any of the "common" issues.

@Nak mentioned he was on the MV forums and it was enough to scare him away. I think this is BS. If you're on a forum where 99% of the riders ride MV, this is the place where they go and talk about their issues. This is no different then the Kwaka forums that I'm on for my ZX6RR, where guys bring up issues they have with the Ninja. There will always be issues with all bikes, some more common than others.
  18. #18 Beza, Feb 24, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
    "In 2005, Chinese company Qianjiang Group purchased Benelli. This brought a much-needed boost in funding and a new lease of life for the manufacturer. QJ Group chose to let the Benelli factory in Pesaro continue to manufacture the iconic Italian motorcycles."
  19. No longer
  20. Haha Devil! What is the wrong if it is chinese owned? 1/2 of the world's leading industries is chinese owned/co owned? Some of the components on your MV must have chinese on them.. Well before my 1st TnT got binned i was able to put 50,000ks on it without any problems.. Not even a single leak or any sort of mishap other than its thirst for fuel. And before you say that the TnT's are now assembled in china, you might want to have a good look and drop by at the benelli warehouse in melb, And gaze on how they assemble one and test ride one of it:] It is still italian made mate:]
    • Like Like x 1