Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

CBR problems starting it, Help please

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by chickibabe, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Hi Guys,
    Thought I'd post this up to see what info I get back,
    Well I had 24000 major service done about three weeks ago,

Well my problem is that since having it done, I'm having probles big time starting my bike now.

I had to take bike back as it seemed to running really rich, so that is fixed, but now I'm having problems starting my bike, I have to feather the throttle, and if I go anywhere near the chock it just dies on me.

Does anyone out there have any idea what might be the problem. PLeaseeeeeeeeee.

Thanks Lou
  2. Once it starts and warms up is it OK? I.e. does it idle OK when the throttle is released.
  3. does your bike have a choke??

its winter now

anyways, try to turn the throttle adjuster to the correct base idle, might be set below what it should be
  4. Yep once warmed up it is fine.

Have to stand there and hold throttle until it can idle by itself, never had this problem before service.
    As I said if you turn choke on it kills the bike straight away.

The base idle is fine.

Thanks Lou
  5. The sensible thing would be to take it straight back and demonstrate the fault. That means leaving it there for a day so it can cool off.

If the bike starts without choke at all, in this weather, whereas it needed choke before, then that suggests that it is running too rich.

If, on the other hand, you are used to warming up the bike on the choke and now you cannot, good!

You should never warm up an engine on choke - all that bub-burble signifies that the fuel mixture is way too rich and is washing lubricating oil off the cylinder walls and wearing out your engine faster than it needs to be. Ride as soon as the bike will run. Don't leave it idling, even without choke.

I am sure that just a little bit of choke will still work OK. Try it. But don't try warming the bike up on choke at "idle".

All the best

Trevor G
  6. Hi guys thanks for all the advise, I think I'm just going to put up with it,

""If, on the other hand, you are used to warming up the bike on the choke and now you cannot, good!""

almost spot on LOL

Thank anyway guys.
    Cheers Lou