Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

CBR 929's and 954's [Updated: and now zx10r's]

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by mercho, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Hey Guys,

Coming of my P's soon and looking at getting a bigger bike.

Whats the story with the CBR929's and 954's? Are these the models honda released before the 1000's? Is there any reason why they are going pretty cheap? Anything I should be wary of? I am still pretty new to bikes and just wanted to get some advice...

2. Re: CBR 929's and 954's

They are part of the 900 series that honda produced before they switched to the litre in 2003/2004 (sometime around then).

The story is that they look hawt. They are cheap, possibly because they are now at least 4 years old and are considered 'older' technology. What that means for you and me is we get to pick up a bargain.

I haven't ridden one, but I don't think there is any particular issues with the later models (929 and 954).

Good luck.
  3. Re: CBR 929's and 954's

Thanks for the quick reply :)

Any major differences between the 929 and 954?
  4. Re: CBR 929's and 954's

Apart from obvious capacity changes. Looks?

Not really sure, try this :
  5. Thanks for that mate! looks like like the 954 had a bit of an engine overhaul from the 929 and became a bit lighter, and obviously the looks changed!

Thanks again for the link!
  6. if u can find a cheap 929 or 054 grab it, they are usually pretty pricey actually

the older cbr900rr(919) can usually be found for a reasonable price though.
  7. Rode an 03ish 954 (yak's) the other week. VERY nice bike, and he got it for a steal.
  8. Thanks for all the replies guys. I am going to keep my eye out for the 954's, i think the are very nice looking bikes, and from what i have researched and everyone has said here they are not too bad either... :)

Thanks again guys, keep the opinions comments coming :LOL:
  9. I guess it depends on what you call pricey. There are a couple on bikesales for about 8.5k, which I'm sure if you went there with $8k you would ride away on a new 954. That's $8k for a lot of bike IMO. Of course it depends on your budget and what you want to do with the bike.
  10. Saw the pics... it looks really hot :)
  11. The 929 was the first of Honda's injected superbikes, the 954 was another significant upgrade, a new engine etc. Both have excellent suspension and brakes. Injected Hondas all seem to suffer from a snatchy off-to-on throttle transition, but millions of people all over the world have learned to deal with that.

For an upgrade you'll be getting massive power, great handling and sweet brakes. Excessive, even. Both models make great streetfighters if you run out of talent.

If you can walk away with a 954 for $8k you're getting a brilliant deal.
  12. thanks for the replies guys...

the more i look at the 954's the more i like them... Now gotta try and see if i can afford one :LOL: :LOL:
  13. Mate, im looking at the 929 and the 954 as well. I think the R1 is a better looking bike, but there's something about the "fat" curvy looks of the older model Honda's that I love. Came off restrictions the other day. How do the 929/954 compare with the early model (99 - 01) R1's out of interest?

I've heard the older R1 was a dangerous machine, major problems with keeping the front wheel on the ground when getting on the gas! Where-as the honda's were much easier to manage. Any comments on this from you guys?
  14. The early R1's are awesome machines. Definitely brutal but so much fun :grin:

As any 1000cc bike if you get on the gas hard the front will become light quickly. So you just have to show some respect for it and you'll have no problems.

Cant comment on the CBR thou :cry: Will have to find someone who will let me ride theirs.
  15. Having ridden a 99 R1 an a 954 just the other week I can tell you that coming off your P's the 954 is a much better option. It doesnt have the power of the R1 and is a lot easier to handle. The 954 is a very well made sports bike and seems to do everything just right, it's comfy, quite light, small sized, can be ridden comfortable at low speeds and has plenty of power when you need it. Definately a well priced machine too.
  16. 954 - enough said..
  17. Cheers guys. Only issue now is finding a reasonably priced 954rr in WA. Will def have to try test riding both the 929 and the 954.
  18. Let us know how you go and what you think between the 929 and 954 :grin:
  19. Sorry for hijacking your thread Mercho! I have one major issue though, I've been temporarily posted to WA. I'll be here till September and its time for me to upgrade to unrestricted license. The RTA want me to send back my old license in the post will a photo and paperwork attached, but I need me license to drive here! When I asked her what to do, she said just take a photo-copy of the license, and use that when driving around... Sounds pretty dodge to me.

Or I can get together heaps of documents, get them signed, then send them off, but to be honest, I don't have the time at the moment, and as usual, the WA DPI are completely useless. So painful sitting around wanting to start test riding new bikes, but not being able to!
  20. Well i ended up getting an 04 zx10r... :D Very happy with it at this stage too...

Here is a pic :LOL: