Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

CBR 600 FX queries

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by mattizie, May 31, 2013.

1. Hi everyone,

Just wanted to seek the experience of some wiser folk before I jump straight into this.

Anyway, I've got a 1999 CBR600 FX (al. frame, carbs), about 30k km, sitting the garage, and grandparents want it gone, and I want to ride it again. Either way it needs to pass RW.

Rear shock doesn't work, and rear brake disc needs replacing.

Just confirm:
    If any CBR600 rear disk will fit? Or is it a specific one for that year? Same with the centre stand (have they changed from 99 to 2005).

As for rear shocks, I've had a look at rebuilding shocks, and looks quite difficult, with special tools needed. Is it easier to just buy new ones? And again, will the shocks be the same across the CBR range, as in will they fit?

Finally, shop quoted $400 to fix (including parts), is it worth taking to the shop, or just fixing it myself seeing as I'll have a fair bit of time during uni break.

2. Why do you need to know if rear disc is the same on other models? Just go to metal gear and search for the exact one for your bike. The part number is 20-035 for the standard one, or 20-035-w for the wave one. Both are listed for $99.95ea.

As for rear shocks. You will require some special tools, such as spring compressors, nitrogen gas bottle & race tech pressure gauge fitting for re-gassing, plus general hand tools & bench vice. Also will need a new seal head assembly & some shock oil. You can source all these from Terry Hay (shock treatment). New shocks are usually very expensive, like $1000 -$1500. However like everything else, there may be some cheap ones now on the market from china, so it might pay to do some research. Honda has also dropped the price on alot of their genuine parts, so they might be cheaper now, worthwhile checking. $400 sounds about right to recondition your existing shock, which I would recommend.

3. I would take it to the mechanic. Let them sort it out. That way you can spend your break enjoying the ride instead of working on it.
  4. Thank you for the replies,

I'm not too fussed about working on it myself, though. I have another (smaller) bike to ride around. This one's been for sale for almost a year, so thought I'd fix her up so I can use for the track, or for when I upgrade (the original intention).
    Though I don't think I'll do the shocks myself; don't have the special tools.

I'll keep you posted how I go.
  5. $400 to sort it out and get riding again seems like a good investment. The if somethings happens you can take it back