Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

CBr 600 f4 (1999) pilot screw adjustment/tuning

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by mattizie, Jul 5, 2014.

1. Hi guys, as always please move if in the wrong spot.

I just did a service for my cbr 600 fx, oil, coolant change carb cleaning ect.

I've gone and balanced the carbs. But I'm not quite sure how to go about fiddling with the pilot screw (air/fuel mixture). At the moment I've set them to factory standard (3-1/8th turns out).

My questions are: is it going to make a substantial difference to the overall performance and efficiency of the bike if it's a little bit away from optimum, such that it justifies going through the whole procedure. And if yes, it makes a huge difference, what is the best way to go about doing it.

I've got no problems doing it with a single or even twin, because it's fairly easy to hear the difference, but I'm not too sure with an inline 4, thus help from those with more experience than I would be appreciated. Also the pilot screw is located on the underside of the carbs, which is why I'm kind of reluctant to go about it, but if it's going to make a substantial difference, then it's worth it. I'm going to be turning the screws with a broken hacksaw blade or something similar, 'cause god knows there isn't any room for a screwdriver.

Thank you for your time.