Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

CB900 Hornet jerks when slowing down

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by migo33, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Hi
    Not sure how to discribe this but each time I slow down on my Honda Hornet CB900 and get below 40km the bike will jerk (is this the right word?)...
    Obviously it only happens in gear but it doesn't matter which one, mostly 2nd or 3rd.
    My chain is new and lubed and the bike was just serviced.

Is this expected or should I check something?

2. Sounds like a chain issue but you say it's new. Check the real wheel bearings. CB9's had issues with these seizing sometimes.
  3. Sorry mate but I don't know you so the question may be a little.... basic
    Are you changing down to late? Bogging down the motor. Causing drive line snatch.
  4. Hi guys

I have been riding for 25 years on many bikes and this is the first time I encounter this jerking.
    No I don't shift to early or late, it's most noticeable when I ride downhill on 2nd or 3rd at around 30km/h.

I will call my service guys

5. Hello migo33 - nice to meet you.

It might be a chain thing, or a wheel bearing thing, or a warped disk. It could be either wheel. Check the chain tension yourself, and if that seems right, get a mechanic to look at it.
  6. I assume the chain is correctly tensioned? Incorrect tension can cause jerking.
  7. Thanks
    The chain is in the right tension. I just got back from service and they said all looks fine. I guess I need to ride on first in the city or keep hi revs on this beast.
  8. 30km/h in 3rd is too a high a gear for most bigger bikes. Just because the bike can still pull from that gear doesn't mean it should be in that gear.

Even 2nd can sometimes be a little chuggy depending on the bike.

I guess you learn something new every day eh?
  9. I replicated this on my 900 Hornet last night. Its just having the wrong gear selected. Try shifting down around 3500-4000 rpm and ending in 1st gear when you stop..