Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

CB400 Tank Removal

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Geoffrius, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Hi Guys,

I'm mounting a pair of Rigid Industries Dually LED lights on my CB400 this week - I have 2 options:

1. Mount & Wire them myself ($0 but 8-12hrs of swearing)
    2. Get the dealer to do it ($200 - 2.5hrs)

To the CB400 owners - what's involved in getting the tank off so I can route my wiring etc without accidentally draping anything over the motor and ending up with a fiery / melted mess?

I'm ok with the wiring part etc (lights are 15w @ 1a & the dealer has said there shouldn't be any issues with the elec system).

Cheers,

GB

2. Oh, and as a side note - I got a price from Honda (via the dealer) for a full workshop service manual for the CB400 and was floored when the guy told me it was $400. I haven't been able to find any aftermarket service manuals for the current model or even an older model (except the '75 series).

Any ideas on where a service manual could be acquired?

3. if it's like the 900 hornet you remove side covers [have you got an owners manual?] loosen tank bolt and lift from front. Downlaod a manualif you dont have one.

4. Thanks Goddie - I have the owners manual, but it mentions nothing about tank removal :(

I assume you just loosen that front bolt and then lift it from there? I guess I could then just prop the tank up while I wire underneath it etc...?

5. You could try asking this guy:
    http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com.au/viewitem?itemId=250988846653

Or if it's anything like my MC17 (to fill up the radiator) remove all Allen bolts, get a shifter and remove the big bolt that's hiding under the handlebars, carefully unclip it from the side fairings, lift it about 5cms before reaching max distance of the fuel line, turn off fuel, disconnect fuel line.

The above is probably useless to you, but may have something useful in there

6. On mine, the bolt is near the seat and and the tank lifts from the front.

7. Removing the petrol tank is normally a pretty simple task on a naked bike.

You'll need to first remove the seat and, most likely, the side panels.

If you can pull the fuel line and vacuum line (if present) off now, then do so. Otherwise, they will come off as you lift the tank off.

There will be a pin holding the tank to the frame. Most likely, this will be located near the seat. Remove the nut from the pin. Then take the pressure off the pin by gently lifting the tank a little bit, and pull the pin out.

Now the tank should lift freely from the same side. Lift it up, then pull the tank away from the frame to slide it off the mounting rubbers at the other end.

8. Dumb question. I have held the tank up because I didn't want to remove the fuel line and have petrol pouring out. Will removing the fuel line allow the petrol pour out.

9. mate you may fule pissin out, also have you got wires coming from the tank as well? be mindful.. can you just 'prop' the tank or do you need to remove it totally?

10. engrish????

11. I'm sure its the same as my CB1300. Remove seat and side covers, undo the two bolts at the rear of the tank that secure the hinge, then lift and pull back the tank from the two rubber lugs that hold it at the front. It will then hinge upwards at the front to the limit of a control cable (this prevents the fuel lines being stretched). Stick a long screwdriver or something better to prop it up, put plenty of protective cloth over the front edges and the frame toptubes if the fekkin' screwdriver slips, and you can get access under the tank without actually taking it off or disturbing your fuel pipe unions.

12. Hi tsim, it depends on how your fuel switch works. On a lot of older bikes, petrol will flow out of the tap when it is in the ON position, so you need to make sure you've turned the switch to OFF. More modern bikes usually have a vacuum line that runs to the switch, so that fuel will only flow out when a suction is applied (ie the engine is running). These switches may or may not include an OFF position. They also may or may not include a PRIME position, which would let fuel flow freely out of the tap.

So it goes without saying that if your petrol switch has an OFF position, set it to that. If you have a vacuum line, just make sure the switch isn't on PRIME.