Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

CB400 Tachometer backlight

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Cognosis, Dec 9, 2013.

1. #1 Cognosis, Dec 9, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
    Hey there,

I've very recently started riding, and picked up a beautiful blue 2009 Honda CB400 with only 10,000km on the clock. The bike is great, and I've covered a lot of K's over the last couple of days.

Driving home to Newcastle from Sydney tonight (first time riding at night), I realised that the tachometer's backlight is not functional. The speedometer's backlight works fine.

After getting home, I checked the fuses and found nothing adverse there.

I had a bit more of a play around, and tried to disassemble the tachometer to get at the globes to figure out what kind of globes I need (there's nothing in the manual about it), but with no luck.

Anybody know how to fix it, or recommendations on where to take it in Newcastle?
  2. There's got to be a little globe in there somewhere. Maybe do a Internet search for a parts site. They should have a parts diagram showing the exact location of it
  3. Here you go....
    cb400 instruments.
  4. Thanks for the response. Even with that diagram, I can't for the life of me get the casing open.

Does anybody have any experience doing so?
  5. Standard procedure....
    1] unbolt the complete assembly from its mounting
    2] remove the screws (#38,) from the back cover. There could as many as 3 - 6 screws. The rear cover should now come away from the instrument cluster.
    3] On removing the rear cover the wiring loom will be exposed and the rubber bungs/globe holders will be visible.
    4] remove globe holders and replace globes as required.
    5] re assembly is the reverse procedure.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Thanks, Will try
  7. Fellow CB400 owner here. Should only have to remove 1 screw on the back of the "cup" that goes over the Tacho. The cup should then come off. Theres a rubber plug with bulb in, pull the rubber out, it may be hard to get out so do a bit of wriggling side to side and it should come out.
    There is only 1 bulb per side for illumination. Its a standard T10 bulb. Best changing both sides as no doubt the other side will go soon as well.