Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

CB400 Luggage ideas...

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Flyboy, May 22, 2012.

1. Hi guys,

So i finally got my first bike. Its an almost new CB400 and Im pretty much totally in love with it.

Ive bought all the gear I need except for a way to get my stuff around. Ive been thinking about two options, and Ill probably end up eventually with both. What ive pretty much decided on is a rear luggage rack with a good size bag, along with a good magnetic tank bag. That way the rear bag can be removed until i decide to go away for a weekend etc and the tank bag can be used for day to day rides.

I was wondering what everybody else used, especially on other CB400's, in the way of bags. Id love the tank bag to be able to fit a spare set of clothes or two plus the usual wallet/phone/bottle of water etc, but i dont want it to be really big and silly looking. itd also be tops if it could be converted to a backpack for when i have to leave the bike. I know that might be a bit much to ask all at once but its something to aim for I guess...

the rear rack will probably end up being a gear sack or something similar, but if anyone can point me in the right direction for that as well id be stoked.

Of course, any other suggestions for how to carry gear will be much appreciated as well, so if you think you have a better way let me know.

Cheers guys,

2. Congratulations on your purchase, CB400 is a great choice, but I am a little biased :). As for luggage, do a forum search on Kriega, there are a few reviews on here and I think they will meet most of your requirements.
  3. +1 in checking out Kriega.

I've got a US-20 which i use as a tailbag on my vtr. Good for taking work stuff in or overnights (change of clothes, shoes etc). Normally put my wallet and keys in the top pocket. The bag is basically a sack so you can fill it with whatever.

If you are in Syd Procycles stock a lot of their range (and it was cheaper than buying direct from the Aust distributor).
  4. Congrats on the purchase, I have a 900 hornet and recently cut my luggage rack to hold a top box, now I believe I can utilise the rack I cut by welding 2 plates, re connect to original rack and throw a bag on as well as utilising the top box, and if you are really busting for room, a tank bag :)

No the top box will hold 2 full face helmets [rated 48 litre] bag is 52 litre and tank bag [well who knows], just some ideas for you :)
  5. You could also consider soft panniers, which I use when on a trip away on the VTR. Could be used on their own, or in addition when you need more room.

Tank bags can scratch - be mindful.
  6. Congrats on the bike Flyboy.

I've got the Ventura rack on mine with the aero spada combinations - large and the zipped on smaller bag - which hold heaps of stuff. They're not waterproof so I put my stuff in large garbage bags inside the ventura bags (can't be bothered mucking around with the waterproof covers). They're practical, but ugly. We do a fair bit of long distance, multi day riding so the bags are essential (for me anyway).

I've looked around for other options, in particular hard panniers, but there's nothing around and I'm not sure if the weight of panniers would be an issue on the CB. Greydog's suggestion of soft panniers is an option but I'm looking at moving down the Kriega path and getting rid of the Ventura rack altogether. I just have to decide whether I'm going to keep this bike for awhile, or move on to something larger that has more luggage options.

All the best with the new bike.