Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cb125e oil type

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by UserInterface, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Can any one tell me if I can put either of these 2 types of oil in my bike? I have shell helix hx5 15w-40 that's for my car or 4-stroke sae 30 from my lawn mower.. I hoping one of these will work because they are my only option until I get paid next month and right now it's not even registering on the dip stick.

2. No, neither. The car oil will probably mess up your clutch. The lawnmower oil is a monograde designed fr Briggs & Stratton.
    Go and look through the "Oil controversy thread" if you don't want to just get the oil recommended for your bike in the owners manual.
  3. #3 oldcorollas, Jun 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Personally I'd use the Shell Helix if that's your only choice, while its a car oil it doesn't claim to have friction modifiers which is what you don't want.
    I agree with oldcorollas, ensure your reading the oil level correctly. If the oil level is fine then stretch servicing until you can get some decent motorcycle oil and a filter.
  5. CB125e doesn't have an oil filter ;)

and yeah, if 50mls of the Helix will keep you riding until payday then maybe ok, but be aware it may cause clutch issues...

How to check the engine oil level - Honda CB125E, GLH125SH | Moto Faction
    not sure about the "don't screw it in" bit.. that will make a few mm difference to measurement, but maybe that's the way to do it?

is always a good idea to have a bit of bike oil around to top up between changes
    • Like Like x 1
  6. dont forget to warm the bike up too and then let it sit for 5 mins before checking the oi level. apologies if you already knew that of course, you never know...
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Regular car oil will be ok for a top up, though it will break down a bit quicker than bike oil (gearbox shears the oil). It's not ideal, but it's better than running dry. Just don't use anything that says "fuel saving", "friction modified", "eco boosted" or anything remotely like that. Those can bugger your wet clutch.