Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cb125 and vtr250 and still learning help

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by pozeli, Mar 9, 2015.

1. So I have been off here for a while now saving for my bike. I bought a bike and went to go for my Ls and stressed myself out completely getting to rider bros which is the other side of town - running late with people's stories of Hart in my head and how they won't let you do it - etc
    Suffice to say I didn't get my Ls. they were really nice and got me on a scooter to get my confidence up. I crashed the scooter twice.
    I passed my written and went back again the week after for more lessons. I ended up with the flu in the meantime but still went in and this time rode on the cb125 getting into second gear etc riding straight. I left at lunch because my flu was pretty bad but came back the next day and basically had a private lesson as no one else was booked in. I got up to riding around the course and through the cones in second gear and practising fast breaking. I am going back this week to hopefully do the actual test and get my Ls.
    In the meantime I took my bike (vtr250) to a private Carpark to practise however it has such a different feel my confidence went down a lot. I also read recently on the net that you cannot ride without your Ls if the car park has public access?? Not sure about this?
    The way you are taught in your Ls is "breakfast" (letting the clutch out in first and feeling it start to stick) "lunch" (walking the bike with the clutch partly out) and "dinner" (letting the clutch out fully feet up and then adding a bit of throttle) - however my VTR250 seems to idle too low to do this - is this correct or am I being too impatient and letting the clutch out too fast? It is a 2002 model and has a choke. I had to put the Choke on to let me do breakfast lunch and dinner. The high idle with the choke on then made me quite nervous. The bars on my bike have been changed (prior owner) to straight bars so it is a bit leant over - I found even though I wasn't doing it on the cb125 that when I went to break I pulled the throttle a bit as well (lucky I had the clutch in).
    My husband pointed out as well that starting breakfast lunch dinner style on a hill in traffic is not going to work.
    Has anyone ridden Both and can give me some advise?
    Does anyone know about the Carpark thing as well?

2. Riding without Ls is illegal in a public place and most car parks would be a public place. So you are taking a risk and if caught would face a penalty at least and possibly a disqualification for a few months.

You can ride on private property without Ls if you know someone who has a place which is big enough to ride in.

If your bike idles without stalling it is not too low and the fault is in your technique. Let the clutch out slowly. Use your ears. When you hear ithe engine start to load up and slow down you have reached the slip point. If you let out fast past this you may stall so take it slow and feed a few (that is a few not a fistful) of revs and then slowly let out more.

I think your problem is nerves and the solution is practice.

As to hill starts, they do require a bit different technique (not much) but given there are no hills on the licence test I wouldn't worry at this stage. Practice the flat stuff and get it right. Then worry about hills.

So secret is slowly slowly let clutch out until bike starts to roll and then keep releasing slowly . Dump the clutch and you will stall.

Once you master it a few times get somewhere you can get a long straight run and gofrom start to rolling, into second, stop and then restart. Repeat, repeat, repeat.

However if you keep changing bikes it is going to feel different. As the slip point of the clutch will be different.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks for the quick response. I'll stick to going back to rider bros til I get my Ls. It is mainly nerves - I felt really good after the last time when I was riding around. The guys at rider bros are soo nice as well. Really understanding. I would recommend them to anyone learning.
    I think I was being impatient and the VT does feel different to the cB. Once I get my Ls I'll just have to spend time again getting used to my bike.
    Thanks again I really appreciate everyone on this forum and all the help they offer.

The neutral seems to not always go in on my bike too (VtR250) it just had a road worthy and was fine but my husband has ridden it a few times (usually rides his gsxr1000) and noticed it too. Any recommendations around melbourne to get it looked at? I'm South eastern suburbs near camberwell Burwood area
  4. I agree with almost all that GreyBM posted, except for.....

I know it's nitpicking but the standardly taught stopping, in first gear, clutch in, holding bike on footbrake, then starting from there, is quite deliberately chosen as it is exactly the same on the level or up a hill.

A small amount of throttle, as you ease the clutch to the friction point, then a bit more throttle as you let off the footbrake, and off you go....remembering to keep your head up.

Only difference from level to up hill is amount of throttle.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. lol I did my L's with StayUpright on a CB125 and my current bike is a VTR250, see my profile pic! I actually found the VTR really daunting (and heavy) until AFTER I did the 2 day learner training course with StayUpright (I'm not sure if Hart has the same one, then I would highly recommend doing it), once I did the course and passed my L's, I no longer found it intimidating at all. I got my L's on 16/01, got the VTR registered on 21/01 and have now done a bit over 2,500 k's on it in the nearly 7 weeks I've been riding. It is a VERY forgiving bike and I would recommend it to anyone whether you're a learner or not and especially to anyone that's a bit on the short side ;)

I would guess, from having done the same thing myself more than once, is that you pulled on the throttle a bit because the bike jerked forward a bit, which would've forced your arm down, which would've opened the throttle more. I've also found that a steady positive pressure up will find neutral easier than a quick jerk up, like when you change gears.

Anyways, hope this helps a little, good luck :D
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Technically the same and yet so many noobs who can start on the flat can't start on a hill because they are focused on doing it exactly the same instead of keeping the principle the same.

However as i stated if someone is having difficulties starting on the flat they should focus on getting that right and worry about hill starts later.

I suspect though we are in agreement CrazyCam.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Do they have CB250 to ride on? I know when I did my course at HART they had 4 CB250's and the rest CB125 as I already had a CB250 i jumped on one as I thought it would be more useful to actually riding something with the same weight and power I would be riding.

I got my L's on 1 Feb after doing the 2 day course one thing I did before the test because I get so nervous doing these things is have a song playing in my head one that actually focuses myself and gives me the determination to pass or win something the song is Queen - I want it all gotta love queen have a listen and tell me if that doesn't make you want to win! You might have a different way you focus do whatever works for you!

I wouldn't worry about how different it feels on your Vtr250 I would just focus on the bike your using to pass the test and get a feel for that as once you pass and get you L's atleast you can goto a quiet industrial area or car park and practice legally and get to know your bike alot better ;)

Good luck with the test!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Makes sense though we weren't told to put the back break on when starting on the flat - at least not yet? I haven't done everything yet I've been going back and doing it in stages keeping my confidence up
  9. I
    I hope I feel the same. Practise will help. Mine is a bit more leant over than the normal VTr250 as a prior owner has changed the handle bars to a flat bar - I think I've inserted a pic but not sure because I dunno how to do it on my phone... Hopefully I'll get my Ls this week and be able to start learning on my VtR sounds like you got the hang of it pretty fast

Attached Files:

10. Hahah I totally did the same thing last time and it worked so well - except MXPX songs because it takes me back to being a teen who was a bit more carefree! that and trying to repeat that Hunter S Thompson quote in my head "fast fast until the thrill of speed overtakes the fear of death"
    Good to know I'm not the only one!!
  11. Oh and I don't think they had 250s... Just the 125cc and some scooters and some dirt bikes and then a massive road/off road suzuki (not learner legal) from what I could see
  12. Also not sure how standard the "standardly taught" stopping is. I certainly support it but most noobs I watch don't do it until I yell at them.
  13. Yep, looks like you're leaning a tad further forward than I am (it's hard to tell though, 'cause I'm really short only 5'1"), can someone adjust the handlebars back a bit for you? Or is that not possible with what's on there? Really, if it's bothering you changing them out for the standard ones might be your best bet.

There were a few things that helped me get the hang of it quick. I read massive amounts of posts on here, I watched hours & hours of YouTube videos. I rode, every single day for the first couple of weeks, then read more posts and watched more videos. I spent a LOT of time just sitting in our driveway learning exactly where the friction point was so that I could take off easily, moving no more than few cm's at a time. I wanted to go away for the weekend with my hubby, but I couldn't do that until I had some basics under control, so I just practiced and practiced and practiced lol Then we went away..... And I have to say that the trip away made all the difference, having to do everything for "real", really made it all sink in and made it so much easier. We're not long back from a 5 day trip away and will be heading off for another week or so shortly, I can hardly wait, I'm so bitten by the bug, it's not funny. You WILL be able to do it, it just takes time and practice to get to know your bike :D
    • Like Like x 1
  14. do you teach at one of the rtos? Look they might just not have shown me yet because I was so nervous the first time I stressed myself into a wreck that's why they got me on the scooter to try and get the fun back into it. I was doing well until all the experienced riders came out and I tried to match their speed and had a bit of "object fixation" in a turn and went into the fence then freaked out a bit a revved it with the break which in hindsight I should have pulled in the back brake with the front brake but because it was not a clutch I had been ignoring it. They did teach me the right way to hold my hand on it etc but I panicked and it all went out the window. When I came back and they got me on the bike we went really slow doing the same basic stuff over and over. Last time I just got up to going around the course and through the cones and practising swerving and stopping within the cones but just with clutch and front brake
  15. Can you reach the floor? Did you have the lower it? I think I just am and I'm 5'7"
    I'll have to give it a proper go when I have my Ls with the handlebars and if it really bugs me I'll look for some standard ones on eBay or something...
    Sounds like a good way to learn what you did. I really enjoyed it after the last time at the course when I was riding around. I really hope I can do the test and pass soon and keep my confidence up and start learning on my bike.
    Thank you for sharing your experience
  16. Not flat footed, but nearly!
    Yep, it's lowered as much as it will go. I "could" get the seat done too but we've just bought me an adventure bike (about 5 minutes ago) so there's no point in spending any more money on it now ;)

You'll be fine :)
    • Like Like x 1
  17. How old is the oil, and is it properly filled ?
    Many bikes struggle with gear changes and finding neutral when their oil gets a bit old and dirty.
    As for tuning and servicing, I can recommend InTune in Ringwood.
  18. I am involved in the St Kilda Saturday practice and mentoring when i can but not formally teaching
  19. WRT Victoria, I don't really know either, GreyBM.

In NSW it is part of the "script" for the pre-learners regardless of which training mob you go to.

How it traveled to Vic, I dunno.

I assumed (always a mistake) that they just took the whole kit and caboodle from NSW.

The logic of it is that while stopped, a rider should be ready to move off at a moment's notice, and, as I said before, there isn't a "special" technique for hill starts, it's basically the same, just more throttle required.

Also, if stopped, the most likely bump that a rider might cop is from the rear, so holding the bike on the rear brake gives you a chance of not falling over if bumped.

If the rider holds the bike on the front brake, a rear end bump will probably result in the bike falling over, since it sort of "folds" round the steering. Also, holding the hand brake complicates the application of throttle.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Hi Jozlyn.

I'm curious as to when you'd actually be selecting neutral.
    • Like Like x 1