Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Case study!what did they do wrong, what could they have done

Discussion in 'Multimedia' at netrider.net.au started by drewzor, May 10, 2008.

1. #1 drewzor, May 10, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    Ok we have had heaps of posts about breaking technique, cornering methods and some of the more expirenced riders have even done pop quiz tests.

Now its time to work on the experiences.
    Real deal accidents broken down by what they have done wrong, what they could have done and how it should have been done from the start.

First up
    (Reference 1.0)
    [media=youtube]YYl9-2NxV8k[/media]
    Seems like an ok line, so what happened?

(Reference 1.2)
    [media=youtube]9RPCHhFrJQ0[/media]
    Seems though this was not the right time to overtake?
    Could/should he have rolled of the throttle and onto the wrong side of the road?

(reference 1.3)
    [media=youtube]FZi4UYP7uNE[/media]
    dont know probably too much front break? what do you think.

(reference 1.4)
    [media=youtube]kGdU6ypYXD4[/media]
    Watch the speedo 77 to 93.. I think he powered on too early?

(Reference 1.5)
    [media=youtube]pFXJmkqzdZ8[/media]
    mm maybe he didn't shift his weight enough and the bike leant over to much?

(Reference 1.6)
    [media=youtube]UOvIgvtDKl4[/media]
    Seriously I dont know what happened? rev's sound the sames as the overbikes..maybe cold tyres!

(Reference 1.7) (what did he do right!)
    [media=youtube]asR05qM_R3U[/media]
    rolled power off and decreased his angle of attack.. is that what saved him?

So what do you guys think, lets break it down and learn from their lessons.

2. #2 smee, May 10, 2008
    Re: Case study!what did they do wrong, what could they have

He farked up
    He farked up
    He farked up
    He farked up
    He farked up
    He farked up
    He saved a fark up

They farked up except for the last one.

3. Would probably have been better to

a) separate each vid into it's own thread otherwise any discussion is just going to get confusing

b) find shortened versions of the 7min + ones

c) put this in riding tips perhaps?

oh, and

:LOL: :LOL: @ smee

4. #4 ginji, May 11, 2008

So from the comfort of my arm chair...

Too much speed, too much angle, probably hit the peg or something.

Where's 1.1? :p

Not enough angle, or still braking

Too much rear, and no attention paid to the road. Sif be talking and riding.

Nar, tried to change down, but at the limit of the grip... bad thing to do.

Pretty much

No idea, it seems he lost control of the bike the moment he start tipping over for the corner, maybe too much rear brake?

He hit a patch of gravel/dirt. The blip in the throttle isn't him rolling off on purpose, but a side effect of the loss of stability, but putting the bike more upright is probably what saved him...

5. Smee, you've made me laugh. Hard. :LOL: :LOL: :rofl:

6. Speed was definitely a factor.

7. #7 titus, May 12, 2008

Tipped himself right off the edge of the tyre IMHO. The front went first - classic low side. Unless there was a problem with the surface (oil, gravel, bumps) it was just too ambitious. He seemed to be leaning well off, but probably should have been pushing the bike up by then(?)

misjudged the line - badly. Should have stayed wide. Instead he cut the apex much too early.

Very sudden - (Without the benefit of sound) I suspect he changed down mid corner and locked up.

Too much rather than too early. See the huge black line he was leaving from mmid corner onwards? Classic high side.

Probably, but I was getting more worried about his mate behind being too close. And I was right.

He must have done it 20-30 times before that incident . I don't think tyres. Hamfisted throttle control, or poorly judged change down?

Yep, but he didn't snap the gas off, just eased it (as you say).

Whaddaya say, experts?

8. #8 Seany, May 13, 2008

It's late but I'll try. :)

[media=youtube]YYl9-2NxV8k[/media]
    Too much lean angle. He had a bad line and started to run wide. The bike was over as far as it could be and he tried to lean over more in order to tighten the line. End result is he ran out of tyre.

[media=youtube]9RPCHhFrJQ0[/media]
    Riding far too fast for his skill level. Went into the corner too hot, paniced and target fixated on the grass (that being where he didn't want to go). It could also be that his line was too tight, leading him to stand it up a bit and he over corrected.

[media=youtube]FZi4UYP7uNE[/media]
    This one is hard. He's riding an ER-6 so it should be basicly uncrashable. :LOL: Could have hit black ice. Could have clipped the car. It is clear that he wasn't paying attention to his riding because he wanted to tell us about his mate's GSXR. Given that it was cold, I'd suggest the Battleaxe 020's that come standard on the bike failed to grip effectively. If the road was slightly damp in cold weather he couldn't have had worse rubber. I reckon the corner caught him by surprise (being as sharp as it was) he tried to push though and wasn't expecting a slide could be a possibility too.

[media=youtube]kGdU6ypYXD4[/media]
    Got greedy rolling on the power and gave it too much gas, causing the rear wheel to spin and slide sideways. The rear caught again before the bike straigtened up and it tossed him off.

[media=youtube]pFXJmkqzdZ8[/media]
    Too much angle. He had his knee on the ground without even sliding his bum on the seat. Peg would have dug in to the road and the tyres lost contact. Should have been going slower, wider or used his weight more.

[media=youtube]UOvIgvtDKl4[/media]
    Looks like another rider pushing past his ability. The rear appeared to lift up off the ground as if the peg had hit the road and the bike started to pivot on it. Should've gone slower, wider or used his weight better. Probably should've done all of the above but it's hard for new riders to be smart when their mates are filming.

[media=youtube]asR05qM_R3U[/media]
    He didn't panic when he hit the gravel. He kept everthing steady and rode through the turn. Top job on his part. The blip of revs is caused by the rear spinning in the gravel and regaining traction later. He didn't actually back off the throttle until after he had saved the bike and needed to wash off speed before correcting his line. :)

9. Nah
    All speculation.
    They all farked up except the last guy who didn't.
    Why complicate things with facts?