Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

cars that hold their value

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by DuHAST, Nov 13, 2006.

1. The cars that hold their value best according to Forbes.com

• BMW 330Ci convertible
    • Honda CR-V SUV
    • Lexus GX SUV
    • Mini Cooper two-door
    • Porsche 911 Carrera two-door
    • Toyota 4Runner SUV

2. I reckon my Charger, the first car I ever had would be worth a packet now, if only I had of kept it instead of upgrading to something else all cos I wanted airconditioning. And yes it was "starsky and hutch" red :p

3. Someone bought an original 1968, unmolested 327 ci Holden Monaro on the weekend for $220,000.

And the only genuine AC Cobra in the country, the 289 ci ex-Ron Thorp race car, sold a couple of years ago for a tick under half a million :shock:

4. Sorry Hornet, I think my comps stuffing up the font in your post. All I can read is:

"2 people with waaaaay too much money bought cars."

Is that correct?

5. cars that are worth jack shit hold value well, you can re-sell it for jack shit.

6. You should have been a stockbroker, Donkey :grin:

7. :rofl:

8. Ahh, so much depends on model, and what is popular at the moment. The V8 Monaros are worth a bit, but then so are XT/XW/XY GT's and GS's, as well as E34 etc Chargers, and V8 Torana's. I just wish I picked a few of these up in the 80's when they were going for a song...(although, even then particular models were more expensive than others!)

I'd like to think my old Jag has gone up in value, but then when I look at how much restoring it cost (even doing most things myself!), I almost faint! But then, it's a beautiful and fun car to drive...and that is what makes it all worthwhile.

Sadly, you've got to sell them to find out, and that's not likely to happen!

Cheers

9. The XJ Jags are extremely cheap at the moment, as are XJ-S 's. Both are regarded as modern classics and I predict will be highly collectible in about 10 years, once they thin out on the ground more, and rust devalues most of them! I think your Jag might just be about to turn. I am planning to buy an XJ-S in teh next year or two as a weekend car and hope prices stay low for a bit longer.
    I nearly bought a John Goss 302 Falcon coupe about 10 years ago, I was breifly unemployed, and didn't want to spend $5k on a V8 powered car. It was dead original and in good, but not great, nick. Nos I think they fetch $15-25k? I let that one slip! :roll:
    As for Chargers, I used to buy them because they were cheap and looked good(and petrol was $60-80c a litre), I've owned 3, and none of them cost me over $3k. They were top of the line 770 models too. Now they are worth easily double.
    No offence to anyone, but it's a very rare Japanese car that becomes collectible, those cars mentioned may hold initial value well, but don't hold on to one!
    A couple of exceptions to teh Japanese car rule may be Datsun 240z's( I stil want one) and any rare speced Nissan GTR's that haven't had teh crap chopped out of them. Problem with Jap cars is people trash em, because they are so cheap.
    Some MR2's may gain value too, notably the first model which was truest to it's original intent (ie, nimble little midmount 2 seater with no frills).

Regards, Andrew.

10. Duopost. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

11. There's many Jags that are good, but beware....I'd avoid the Series 2 XJ6 - there's a whole monetary black hole behind the electrics...moreso than any other Jag. As far as the XJ shape goes, the ones to get are the 2 doors, the long V12's etc. I'd say a good XJ6 Series 1 will be eventually worth a fair bit, but then there were also the Mark 10/420 series and S-Types that have all the modern(ish) mechanics but still the older charm...XJ-S's are great cars, but there are more desirable XJ-S's than others too, like the HE version. If you want a good family car, XJ40s are pretty much bargain priced - top of the line models are going for about the 15k mark, not bad for a car that has all the bells and whistles...

There are some collectible Japanese cars, but they are rare. I'd say that Datsun 240Z/260Z's would be the odd ones there - they were once pretty common, but many were modified for racing (I personally made a few of them into rally cars back in the 80's for different people). I'd also put the 1st generation RX-7 as a future collectible in the same category as the early MR-2's.

All things considered, I think I'll keep to restoring the bikes for a while - it's cheaper! :)

Cheers

Neil

12. Maybe, but they still have electrics by the Prince of Darkness...

For me, the best-looking XJs were the Series III. The XJ40 was an eyesore, the X300 a nose-and-tail job that improved things somewhat, and the current XJ8 is too tall and bloated to look much like an XJ should. Although I've no doubt it's a stunning car to drive.

13. Yeah although at the moment they're cheap enough for p-platers to afford so not sure how many will survive the next few years without being thrown sideways into a tree or being fitted with spoilers, neons, chrome rims etc. Their styling of the original AW11 is kinda dated now too - I'm thinking the later SW20 might become more of a classic given that it's styling still looks good (which is why I plan on keeping mine :)). Some earlier Japanese cars in good condition are now fetching big money back in Japan particularly early sports models like the Datsun 240Z which are practically non-existent in that country (but can still be found in places like Australia). I've heard that even things like the Toyota Tiara are considered collectable over there, even though here they're virtually worthless.

14. I want a Datsun 240Z with the Nissan Godzilla GTR engine conversion.

Ohhhh baby....

15. It's such a great sense of vistory when you think you've finally defeated the great Dark Prince, only to find you've failed again...and agian...and again...

I have to admit that I lost a fair bit of interest in Jags after the XJ6, with the series 1 being my personal favourite of the model. That's why I've got a 1965 3.8S...the precursor to them all...well, sort of....

There's an ever increasing trend in cars, motorbikes and steam engines to export these collectible models. Some English collectors even feel that it importing steam engines to England from Australia is "retrieving" their cultural heritage. An interesting perspective!

Cheers

Neil

16. Actually, when things setle down here financially, we might buy a nice XJ40 for the fiancee as a daily driver. She's only ever had her Magna and a Datsun 180b as a first car, so she's due for something nicer! The XJ40 is an interesting car styling wise, some colours make it look disgusting, some fantastic. the 3.6 litre models with quad headlights is a much nicer car than the 4.0 litre as well.
    The Jaguar electrics problem is greatly exaggerated, and most of teh peoblems, as with any car, can be traced back to previous owners or poor maintenence. I can't recall a single electrical problem I had on my S3 XJ for the two years I had it as a daily driver. I might add they are cheap to run and maintain as well.
    I thik you are right about the S1 XJ becoming more collectible, with a short wheelbase, and being teh most common XJ with a manual box, they were probably the most sporty of the sedans. The S3 grew lots of weight with luxuries, but was stil no slouch with the injected donk. The Mark IX is a dead cheap nice car as well.
    I overlooked the Series 1 RX-7, a good call. Classic little Japanese sportscar. The first and second generation Supra could go collectible as well. They have the advantage of being overlooked by the ricers, so can be had cheapish.
    I really don't know if we'll see any affordable, potential future classics from the Australian manufacturers anymore, the base model V8/sports optioned cars have disappeared.
    Maybe XR6/8s will become collectible, they can be had cheap.
    Some Magna 4wds/VRX's...I dunno....I can't think of anything cheap and potentially collectible Holden has done for 10 years, where the VN SV 3800's may fetch decent money some day, due to relative rarity. Certainly the Monaro does not qualify, although it's prices MAY nosedive like the XJ-S's did, but with rabid Holden fans, I doubt it.

Regards, Andrew.

17. I wouldn't be surprised if prices for the current series Monaro drop quite a bit in 2-3 years when the next version arrives.

Although scratch that if the next one ends up being imported from the US - the last of the local models might be worth a bit then!

18. The other major problem with modern cars becoming collectible is that they are made to be disposable - they are created to an energy budget from birth to scrapping, so nothing is really made to be durable. Injection moulded plastics will also create hassles when replacement is required in 15 years or so. But that's a risk you take investing (?) in a modern classic! I can't think of anythink on the Norton, Sunbeam or Jag that couldn't be replaced or remade (if you had the dollars!) Actually...there is - the indicator return assembly on the Jag - a $45 dollar recondition kit that consists of one piece of plastic that breaks after a couple of days!

I thought the Australian made Monaro model had been canned?

Cheers

19. Ever since i told you about that its been your dream car,

Lets just fcukin do it already (by it i mean the engine conversion.