Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Carrying tools on a sports bike

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Blaise, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Last weekend I had the misfortune to get a puncture at Homebush. Luckily OzYoda (Chris) was on hand with an emergency puncture kit and an electric pump (what doesn't Chris carry?) and we were soon on our way. Not wanting to get caught out, I purchased an emergency repair kit ASAP and then set about building an "essentials" toolkit that I could keep at all times on my Daytona.

What I ended up with is as follows:
    • Assorted Allen/Hex keys,
    • $20 emergency cash,
    • A biro,
    • A few zip ties,
    • 8, 10 & 12mm spanner/rings,
    • Stubby ratchet screwdriver with reversible bit (Phillips/flat),
    • 3 x puncture repair strips,
    • 2 x CO2 refill bottles and inflation stem,
    • Puncture hole reamer/cleaner tool,
    • Puncture strip insertion tool, and
    • Penknife.
    All stored (barring the reamer and insertion tools) in a canvas zip-up pencil case (I scotchguarded the case) and managed to squeeze it into the small compartment under the seat which Triumph's marketing department refer to as "storage".

I still need to add fuses and a pair of pliers to the kit but can you think of anything else I should be carrying taking into account the extremely limited space available? Note: I always carry a mobile and my NRMA roadside assist card.
  2. People may laugh at me (most do) but I keep a high vis vest under my seat, and a torch as well. Torch would have to be one of the most essential tools IMHO.
  3. My entire repair kit lives inside my jacket when I ride. It's commonly known as a mobile phone. :D

At one stage I carried a small set up of tools, similar to what you've mentioned above but there just isn't a great deal of room for everything. I was also a little worried carrying those CO2 bottles around. If you had a bad crash or they got too hot, I was paranoid they would blow up. They probably never would but it did cross my mind.

So now I simply take my phone and inform someone of my route (roughly) and what time I should be expected home if I go out for a ride on my own.
  4. I've got a small LED torch I'll try and squeeze in there if I can. I had it out to add it and then forgot. The risk with CO2 bottles has crossed my mind Nucleotide.
  5. Not a bad idea at all really. If you're stuck at night or in low visibility, you can wear it yourself or throw it over the back of your bike so people can see it.

Torch is also another good idea - hadn't thought of that. You can purchase that little LED torches from Woolworths or Big W for about $6-7 each - I've got four of them placed around the house. Extremely bright and the battery lasts bloody ages!! (y)
  6. Best place for LED torches is direct from HK/China through eBay.

You can get some very bright 1-3w LED torches running off a single AAA for only a couple of bucks, and that includes postage.
  7. I'm yet to get a roll of these but plan on getting one for the car, one for the bike and one for at home. On paper they sound like the best invention since motorbikes, I hope they stack up though.

8. Maybe a "leatherman" type tool instead. Foldable and includes blades among other things.
    I keep one in my kit which also has a x9 led torch on a lanyard (which can be used to tie things up/down/on), 1/2 a roll of duct tape, electrical tape, assorted zip ties, $10-15 in gold, alcohol wipes and Nurofen among other things.
  9. A small tube of glue to go with the punture kit. About $2-00 makes sure the punture plug works,
    The CO2 bottle will not explode, It will blow out the cap and just release the contents harmlessly. But it needs to be exceptionally hot before it does that,
  10. Duct tape is certainly handy, also worth considering adding a small tube of good quality superglue.
    I know I've managed to make it home on a clutch lever that was only held on by glue (and actually lasted another 6 months before I finally got around to replacing it). Also comes in handy for putting broken indicators back together.
  11. Before you fill your pencil case up with fuses, check the actual fuse box - they usually have a couple of unused holders for carrying spares...
  12. "Mobile phone and a credit card" might not always be adequate; more than a few twisty roads have zero mobile reception (and maybe even no LoS to UHF repeaters either), especially if one's exploring twisty roads away from major cities.

The 4Ms ride, for example, can be summed up as 3 days without phone reception. XD

Having means to repair and at least partially reinflate punctures is essential for sport-touring IMHO.
  13. a flint match, knife and shotgun if you get really lost so you can kill clean and cook dinner.
  14. was just pointing out answers from people who haven't posted in this thread
  15. Hairpin, binder twine and fencing wire. Should be able to fix anything with that.
  16. Well, it was supposed to come with a screwdriver but mine didn't even have that (remember, I bought it second-hand).
  17. Yes McGiver!!